Oatmeal Conditioner Spray-Ok to use? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oatmeal Conditioner Spray-Ok to use?

Hi
After skin tests coming back negative im still left with a poor hedgie thats scratching, flaking and losing quills (though no bald spots or sore patches). So the vet is now recommending trying an oatmeal conditioning spray designed for cats & dogs. Should this be ok?

Im reluctant to use the Sunshine factor due to just getting over a dodgy tummy, and flaxseed oil hasn't worked.

Sorry if this is a repeat question.
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Oatmeal Conditioner Spray-Ok to use?

are you applying the flax seed oil on the skin? or feeding it? I was just curious because I've never heard of it not helping. I find it works best when I put some of the oil in water and rinse Quigley in it after a bath. it spreads the oil more evenly and gets right down to the skin.

I don't know about the oatmeal conditioner spray. But unless it is unscented and you really trust your vet I wouldn't use it. What about just regular unscented oatmeal shampoo for humans or even just adding oatmeal to bath water? I don't know if you've tried either of these things already.

It's possible that your hedgehog does have mites despite indications otherwise so you could treat with topical revolution just in case.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply.

Flaxseed was given orally, dropped straight on to skin and bathed in! It just hasn't helped. He's also bathed in oatmeal but it doesn't seem to help. I only bath him once a month though as i don't want to make it worse.

With the mites, he has been treated for them because the vet wanted to make sure it wasn't the problem. He has also been tested for ring worm, some other worm & any fungal infections, all of which have come back negative.

We think he just has really bad dry skin and flaxseed oil just doesn't cut it. The vet phoned round lots of other vets for advise including a nurse at the Tiggywinkles hospital, and though they can't guarantee it will work, they said this spray should be safe and worth a ago?!

Thank you Herrison for PM, ill try the Aveeno oatmeal pack you (& hedgielover) have suggested in his bath instead of just oatmeal.

Any other advise would be great. Thanks again.
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Zalea Send a message via MSN to Zalea

What do you feed him? Sometimes an allergy can cause excessive dry skin. Another sign is smelly poops and sometimes pimple-like areas on the face. Did you notice it a month or two after switching foods or anything like that?

The flaxseed oil and the oatmeal bath with Aveeno packets should be helpful--that's what the flaxseed oil is for, so the skin doesn't dry out from bathing. You can do this every two weeks or so. I've never used just plain oatmeal, so I don't know how well that works. The Aveeno (or just 100% colloidal oatmeal if you want a generic brand) works wonders.

I would try looking at the diet and using the Aveeno bath before resorting to untried tactics. I looked up the ingredients for a few of the different products from John Paul (just one brand name, others might be different) and it looks like a lot of them have fragrance added. Depending on how strong the fragrance is, it could be a little overpowering for him (never used it so I can't say for sure, though). If you do try anything like that, be sure it's cat safe because cats lick themselves all the time so there's less likely to be something toxic in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in