what soap? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default what soap?

so i just got my hedghog and the previous owner neglested to tell me if or even for that matter that he'd need bathing... so i've mark sunday night as tims first bath night. but i need help with certain aspects. should i leave the lights off for it?
-what kinda of soap should i use (preferably a brand i can aquire in canada)
-what temperature should his bath be at
-and how should i dry him
-towel
-naturally over time
-etc.

thank you very your consideration
Cromz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: what soap?

No soap, you need plane oat meal, a sock/panty houes, and make sure they water is not to hott-run it and agust it to what is comfortably warm on the inside part of your wrist, make sure since its his first bath to not make the water too deep-about to his belly is good.

put some oatmeal in the sock or panty houes and tie it off so that you have a sack of oatmeal, then squeeze it in the water until the water gets real cloudy, then put your hedgie in and wash im
when your done, dab him dry with a small blanket and make sure he stays warm afterwords.

good luck
CuteHedgieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

His water should be warm, id bath him in a dimly lit room, i bath my lil one in a sink basin, i use oatmeal in the water at the moment because he is quilling and just plain water for his poopy feet bath. Dont make it too deep and dont use a towel to dry him because the threads can get caught on their feet and hurt them. Just use a blankie or fleece to dry him.
On brands i cant say because i'm from UK so brands are different over here. But i use an unfragranced no tears baby shampoo. Give him a foot bath whenever his feet a dirty with dry poop, i've given Turbo 2 in the time i've had him and 1 full proper bath.
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Any sort of shampoo or soap is bad to use. You can use the plain oatmeal, or use something similar to Aveeno oatmeal wash. Also, it will help dry skin if you pop open a flax seed capsule into a small container, add in some water, then dribble that over your hedgie's back for added moisturizer.

As for temp, I usually use slightly warmer than lukewarm. Whatever you do, make sure you TEST IT first. Dip the underside of your wrist into the water to test how "comfortable" it is against your skin. It IS possible to burn your hedgie just from hot tap water, it has been done, so always test the water first.

For my boy, I usually have a towel beside the sink to get the initial excess moisture off of him. Once he's no longer dripping, I'll move him onto his big fleece blanket, and just sit with him either beside me or in my lap. I usually let my boy dry naturally while cuddling with me for the added warmth. There seem to be some who use blowdriers, but I'm not sure how well that would be, or if you'd just end up scaring your hedgie too much. I usually have the extra time to let my boy cuddle with me anyways, so I stick to letting him naturally dry while cuddling.

And you don't need to turn off the lights. You can dim them if you think he will be more comfortable.

Also...Depending on where you're bathing...If in a sink, I would suggest putting down a layer of fleece down at the bottom, or some sort of rubber mat, just so he won't slip and slide as you're giving him the bath. The fleece at the bottom also works great for foot only baths. As you would just fill with enough water to soak the fleece and let your hedgie walk over it without him getting wet, while cleaning off the poop boots.

If you have further questions, try doing a search(upper right corner) for bathing, aveeno oatmeal, flax seed. Lots of information there ^_^
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

thank you i feel better about this bath already! any kind of oatmeal huh? ok good i just happen to have a huge bag of it that hasnt been touch yet in my pantry
Cromz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromz
thank you i feel better about this bath already! any kind of oatmeal huh? ok good i just happen to have a huge bag of it that hasnt been touch yet in my pantry
I would use plain oatmeal, you don't want a cinamon-flavored hedgie

Gone, but never forgotten
Etsy shop: K52 artworks
K52 artworks on Facebook
FiaSpice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiaSpice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromz
I would use plain oatmeal, you don't want a cinamon-flavored hedgie
hahaha mmmm but he would smell SOOO good!! My little guy is so edibly-cute in the first place...gosh I love him! (Riley)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in