New hedgie.. eats little and is pooping less and less.. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy New hedgie.. eats little and is pooping less and less..

I'm a new hedgie owner.. I just adopted a 1 year old hedgie from someone else.
I named him Bacon, and he has been at my house for 4 days now.
The first day he got a little carsick and threw up on the way home, but after he got home he ate about 15 pellets and drank a lot of water. He also ate some almond slivers I gave him and seemed to like them very much. He pooped 3 times too.
2nd day he ate about 15 pellets but barely any water.. and pooped about 2 times.
3rd day he ate 15 pellets but to my knowledge did not poop.. later he did drink some water but it was only a little.. like.. an amount that barely covered the bottom of a Pringles can lid.
4th day he also ate 15 pellets.. did not poop again.. and hasn't touched his water..
Plus all this time I have not seen him pee once and his cage is always dry.

He also sleeps all day and all night.. the little pile of newspaper shreddings and other toys are never moved from their spots so i don't think he's been moving around when i'm sleeping.
I have been waking him up around 5-7pm and playing with him in my backyard but he usually gets tired after 30 minutes (today he played for an hour) and then finds a place to go to sleep again. He could possibly have pooped or peed while playing outside while he was under a bush or something where i can't see.. but I've been keeping a really good eye on him so I doubt it..
He also refuses to go on his wheel... the wheel had lots of poop on it when the previous owner gave it to me, so he must have used it a lot before.. but he won't go on it at all now.

How much is a hedgie supposed to pee or poop? Is it okay if he just eats 15 pellets? I've been reading normally it's 30-60 pellets.. and poop 2-3 times a day. Is this just because he's trying to adjust to a new home? All this stuff is new to me so i'm just worried a little. Please help me out

P.S> Is it ok to give him almons? i read laterthat nuts aren't good for him.. but that's the only thing he's eaten other than his cat food.. he's shown no interest in anything else.. carrots, cabbage, honeydew, blueberries, and bannanas all failed

kurai18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 01:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New hedgie.. eats little and is pooping less and less..

Try Boiled Chicken. I brought my hedgie home and she wasnt eating the pellets that the breeder gave me at all. So I got some chicken and boiled it. No seasoning of any kind. She ate some of it last night and today my Fiances said she just Devoured (Spelling) it. At three good chunks of it. Tomorrow we are going to go and get some food for her from the lists that are here on the forum. But Im so happy she is eating again. But try the chicken. Boil up a couple small peices and then cut it up into small (worm) like peices. Also, try some Meal worms. Are you sure that your little one is a year old? What was the previous owner feeding him. Does he seem lethargic at all? She could just still be getting used to the new surroundings. Mine has not been pooping much either, but I think its because she was not eating any pellets at all. I would keep an eye on him for a another day or so and see, then check with a Vet. Just me, but I know some better advice is on the way.
Snickers Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Do not give him almond slivers or nuts of any type. There is nothing nutrition for them in nuts and they can get caught in their mouths. Any hard vegetable needs to be cooked first.

15 kibbles is fine. They all eat differing amounts and some are big eaters, some small. He may start eating more once he is more comfortable with you.

What temperature is it where you are? Remember when they are outside, the temperatures need to be warm and often the ground feels colder than the air.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Free2Dream

I'm by no means an expert, but in my experience hedgies' input and output vary daily. For example, sometimes my Annabelle eats a LOT of kibble, almost all of it, and I wake up to find her wheel coated with poo. Other days it appears as if she's only eaten a little and her wheel is almost completely clean. Think about it - some days you'll find yourself feeling very hungry, while other times you couldn't care less about having a meal. It's the same for hedgies.

I recommend giving your hedgie more time to adjust to his new environment. He is probably feeling a little overwhelmed with all the changes. I would also recommend snuggling him, if he'll let you - that way he can begin to feel comfortable around you, and learn to know your scent/voice. That's how Annabelle and I really started to bond.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your advice guys.. I will definitely stop giving him almonds..
We're in Texas so I don't think he could possibly get cold.. lol I don't turn the AC on much either.
I do think it's an adjustment thing though.. Last night I let him sleep in my lap while I was working on the computer and he actually stayed and cuddled instead of trying to run off and hide like he used to.
And then at 5 in the morning I woke up to the sound of him running in his wheel!!! yay!
hehe.
I still haven't found any wet spots that could be pee...
How much do they pee usually? Could it be so little that it's unnoticeable?

kurai18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

What type of litter do you have? It might juts be absorbing it and then you can't see it properly. If you really want to tell if he's peeing, buy some white lining material and only use that in the cage. That would definitely show it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in