Irritated skin - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Irritated skin

Satin does keep me on my toes Her little leg is much improved from where it was not so long ago. Shes walking beautifully and running well as long as I limit her wheel use.

But shes begun two new things: she sits more like a tiny puppy and she anoints in a way I havent really heard described much on the boards. Regarding sitting like a puppy: she sits on her rump/tail area in a way that I dont really recall her doing before her sprain (a disclaimer being that since her sprain, I've really been watching how she carries herself in a hawk-like manner. So perhaps the change is just in my perception, rather than her behavior). Regarding the anointing: when she anoints, in addition to decorating her Mohawk and sides, she puts the frothy mix onto her lower belly/girl parts/tail area. Shes done this before; just the frequency of decorating in this last area is increased.

So far, the above gets me a tad concerned. What's prompting me to post is that her little girl bits are growing increasingly irritated. Her skin nearest the opening and heading toward her tail varies between raw and almost calloused/hardened. Aside from this, she appears in good spirits... good eater, runner, pooper; maintaining weight; walking better; wonderful snuggler; all-around good buddy.

Im guessing its due to anointed food trapped in her skin folds and sitting around like a puppy dog? Maybe shes trying to use veggies as a hedgie-made salve?? Maybe she runs with her body closer to the wheel surface and it rubs (is that even anatomically possible)?? I dont know. I wish I could talk this over with her.

Ive been giving her foot baths just about every morning (she often has poopy feet after running) which also washes her underside so I can clean off any anointing and bathroom issues from her skin. And Ive been limiting wheel use to rest her leg. Weve been to the vet other than the ongoing slow healing for her leg, this skin condition really isnt figured out.

Its not really improving, so Im asking for your collective wisdom help?!
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Irritated skin

Silly Satin! She does love to worry you.

I haven't heard of that happening before, but I would think a small bit of neo/polysporin on it might help heal it up while you figure out what is causing her do that. She probably just wants to make sure you are fully aware of how wrapped around her little paw she has you... LOL

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Irritated skin

No kidding...

Some days I think I should set up a night vision camera to learn what it is that she does at night. Setting the constraints of reality aside, I'd connect the camera to a highly advanced system that could monitor her activites and ask "Satin, what are you doing in there?!" as needed.
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in