Antifungal meds? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Antifungal meds?

Tama had a trip to the vet this past weekend b/c the breeder's agreement only covers up to 2 weeks for any ailment and plus I wanted her checked out since she's been having the dark green slimy stool and few of those (she's still new and I'm pretty sure still stressed) but I wanted to check anyways.

The vet was alright. He was very competent with handeling her and did not require any gas to knock her out. But he was very business-like so not very high on bedside manner and he did try to convince me to switch from my fleece liners to carefresh or a towel... so I have conflicting feelings on him.

He prescribed this antifungal medication to give to Tama thru a syringe 2x a day to help with her bowel movement in case all the stress has hurt her tummy but I don't know if it is the right thing to do. If I felt really confident about the vet, I would have done it but since I'm not too sure about him, I wanted to hold off until I got more info.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have read the horrible stories about vets prescribing the wrong thing for mites and the hedgehog dying. Plus on the prescription, it says that the dosage is for rodents... I'm sure it's measured according to her weight but still...

Should I just wait it out? she could be having stomach problems from all the continued stress. She just about finished with quilling at 7 weeks and she's had a bath and she's moved to a new home with different smells (lots of asian food smells ) and so on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Antifungal meds?

What is the name of the med he prescribed? I don't know what good an antifungal would do for an intestinal issue. Usually the dosage for rodents is the same as for hedgehogs.

How long have you had her? Is she eating well? Count her kibble to be sure. Is she active and acting normally otherwise. Are the green slimey stools frequent or is she going the normal number of times just that they're green and slimey.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

The name is Metronidazole or Flagyl in liquid form and the dose is .02 ML by mouth every 12 hrs. Looking it up online now, there are notes about how it has been found to be carcinogenic in mice and rats (http://www.drugs.com/pro/flagyl.html) which makes the whole ordeal worrisome.

I have had Tama for over a week now. At most she manages 2 or 3 kibble pcs a night. I'll try counting again tonight and in the morning but she's drinking fine. All of her stools have been green/slimy and I'm sure it's stress related b/c of the move since she had perfectly normal ones even when I was getting her ready for the trip (meaning she pooped all over my arm while I was handling her) but for the past week so far, I have yet to see anything even come close to those. these are small, In one night I see about 2 pcs. on the wheel, pee is fine, but the poop is in low quantity/quality.

she has just about finished quilling at a bit over 7 weeks old and she is now very active starting around 10 at night. she has had a very stressful first week with a bath after a few days b/c of all the vomit/pee/poop she did in the carrier and then at the end of the first week, when she smelled horribly and was quilling everywhere. Plus the vet visit this past Saturday (although she did great! ) . When she first came home she was sleepy all the time and wanted to do nothing more than sleep on the couch but now she's more of an explorer. I'm not sure if it was b/c of the quilling or something else but she is now a very active little baby.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

2 or 3 kibbles per night is not nearly enough. What type of kibble is she eating? Is it the same food as she had at the breeder? Try breaking it into smaller pieces and also offer her some that is dampened with a bit of warm water. I also suggest you get some Hill's A/D from the vet and start syringe feeding her. She needs to get some food into her. After a week with you, she should be eating normally.

This sounds like a bit more than a stress reaction. Usually babies don't eat much the first day or two in a new home but then are back to eating normally. The green poop on its own can be stress but combined with the lack of eating is cause for concern. Try and get food into her.

Flagyl is fine to give. It is an intestinal antibiotic.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

the kibble is the same as what she got from the breeder.

I'll try the moistened kibble and the meds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in