Gloves - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gloves

I know that we don’t like vets to use gloves on our hedgehogs. I was wondering if there was any specific reason for this. I may have heard it once but I can’t remember.

http://www.thehedgehog.info
hedgie love is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Gloves

Because they don't get your scent off of gloves. Smelling you helps them become familiar with their owners. If the quills are a problem, a small hedgie safe cloth is preferable for picking up and then you can transfer to bare hands.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

I get it. Would that be important with a vet though? I'm curious because my vet uses gloves despite the fact that he does hedgehogs quite frequently.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Vets using gloves to handle a hedgehog isn't good because it can scare the hedgie. Imagine huge leather things coming at you, scooping you up and poking at you. This makes the hedgehog scared of the vet which can be a problem for future visits. They can get stressed out easier when they go and be uncooperative with the vet.
jabment is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

I understand, now I just need to figure out a polite way to tell the vet to not use gloves. (They seem to think they know everything about hedgies even if they don't )

Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Maybe you could say something along the lines of "I was wondering if you could handle him with his blanket instead of the gloves. They seem to make him nervous, and I think he might cooperate better if he's handled with his blanket, since it smells like him." If you talk just about your hedgehog, it may sound more like a concerned owner who just knows their pet, rather than sounding like you're trying to lecture the vet about hedgehog handling.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I want my pet's vet to wear gloves the same way that I want my doctor and dentist to wear gloves. If I don't see new gloves coming out of the box, then I want to see them wash their hands. If exposure to bodily fluids is expected, I expect them to wear gloves for their own protection and the protection of their other patients.

I figure that the vet has to deal with a large number of animals every day. Not all of those animals are friendly. Not all are potty trained. Some of them are sick or in pain. Almost all of them have teeth and can bite. I am of the opinion that gloves are only prudent.
soprano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soprano
I want my pet's vet to wear gloves the same way that I want my doctor and dentist to wear gloves. If I don't see new gloves coming out of the box, then I want to see them wash their hands. If exposure to bodily fluids is expected, I expect them to wear gloves for their own protection and the protection of their other patients.

I figure that the vet has to deal with a large number of animals every day. Not all of those animals are friendly. Not all are potty trained. Some of them are sick or in pain. Almost all of them have teeth and can bite. I am of the opinion that gloves are only prudent.
I don't think they're referring to to rubber gloves, but rather to thick, leather gloves to protect them from the hedgie's quills.
mommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in