Foot baths? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By whatisamegan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Foot baths?

I just got my hedgie two days ago and I'm not sure when I should start giving her foot baths/how often. I haven't really noticed 'poopy boots' cause she's still being shy about her cage. I don't want to shock her too much and stress her out, y'know?

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

If there is poop on her feet when you want to hold her, foot bath time! Fecal matter is a health risk when you hold her (so, hand-washing basics - even if poop isn't visible). I also recommend foot baths before nail-clipping so you can be sure to see the quicks clearly.

Also, baths can be used as a bonding experience. There's nothing like a nice snuggle in some warm fleece scraps after a bath!

My hedgehogs get near-daily foot baths because they do run in their poop overnight. Quinnlee sometimes cleans her feet before I can, and saves me the trouble!

Congrats on your new little one

SouthernSweet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Agreed! Footbaths are a relatively quick process but very beneficial. The more you do it the more hedgie will most likely get used to it. I give Henry a quick footbath every night it's just part of our routine. It's also important to be able to spot anything that could be wrong on hedgie feet and of course you wouldn't want poop too caked on there risking something getting infected.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Henry!
http://youtu.be/C_Xg6Zt3vDo
sklock65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sklock65 View Post
Agreed! Footbaths are a relatively quick process but very beneficial. The more you do it the more hedgie will most likely get used to it. I give Henry a quick footbath every night it's just part of our routine. It's also important to be able to spot anything that could be wrong on hedgie feet and of course you wouldn't want poop too caked on there risking something getting infected.

I think the first foot bath was a success. She wasn't for more than two minutes or so before she pooped all over and kept trying to climb out. Her feet seemed pretty clear, but at least she walked around in the water a bit. I dried her off and now she's curled up in some fleece on my tummy.
SouthernSweet likes this.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

That sounds about right! Seems like many hedgies will poop in there...which can be annoying when the point is to get those feet clean! My Henry ALWAYS used to poop in his footbaths and I joked that it was his way of assuring I took him out right away. Surprisingly he seems to have stopped (outgrown?) that habit. I don't know if that's at all normal but it's greatly appreciated on my end. He also doesn't fight me nearly as much on it anymore. He used to spend the whole time trying to climb out but at this point he walks around for a few seconds and then just stands there until I take him out. I think he's kind of used to it. Don't count on it because every hedgie is different but know their habits can/might change

Henry!
http://youtu.be/C_Xg6Zt3vDo
sklock65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sklock65 View Post
That sounds about right! Seems like many hedgies will poop in there...which can be annoying when the point is to get those feet clean! My Henry ALWAYS used to poop in his footbaths and I joked that it was his way of assuring I took him out right away. Surprisingly he seems to have stopped (outgrown?) that habit. I don't know if that's at all normal but it's greatly appreciated on my end. He also doesn't fight me nearly as much on it anymore. He used to spend the whole time trying to climb out but at this point he walks around for a few seconds and then just stands there until I take him out. I think he's kind of used to it. Don't count on it because every hedgie is different but know their habits can/might change

I'm just glad she cooperated for the most part. She climbed out a lot, and then bit the towel a lot (she seems to bite every fabric she comes across). I've only had her for a few days and she seems to be less scared of me today. She's getting used to noise and only balled when she touched the water for the first time because new thing. She instantly came out though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in