First vet visit! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By aubreyhasahedgehog
  • 1 Post By hanhan27

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question First vet visit!

So I am getting my first hedgehog in a week, and I wanted to take him to the vet, just for a wellness exam. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me for my first visit to the vet? I want to be prepared with questions and lots of them!
aubreyhasahedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

The main thing I would do is make sure they don't suggest giving your hedgehog any shots or anything. When I took Piglet in for his first checkup he got his "shots" which was apparently Ivermectin. The next time I took him in he got his "follow-up shots," which was a second dose of Ivermectin. I think Pig's pretty lucky to be alive. He didn't even have mites!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

But just to add to that, just watch how they handle your hedgie to see if they're gentle and know what they're doing. Ask how much experience they have with hedgehogs, and really just make sure that you're comfortable with them.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Agreed. We took Henry for a wellness checkup at 6months. By that point I had done a lot of research on hedgehogs and actually used the vet visit as more of a way of making sure we felt comfortable with the vet. I researched vets and found what I thought to be the best choice...and boy was I right. Luckily there is an amazing animal hospital nearby that actually has a handful of exotics vets. I loved the way she handled him and was thorough with the checkup. She checked his eyes, ears, fur, quills, teeth, etc. She also took his weight and asked lots of questions of us (what kind of cage, bedding, food, etc we were using). I was glad to hear Henry looked very healthy and used the appointment to make the decision to stay with this particular vet. I asked her a few questions to make sure I liked the responses. An important one for sure is how they would treat mites should the problem arise (never ivermectin!).

I just wanted Henry to have a file with them so that god forbid something does happen they have a baseline to compare to...and there won't be any initial paperwork if we ever have to rush over there. It's important to be comfortable with who you choose...and will set your mind at ease should an emergency arise.

Hopefully all goes well...keep us posted!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Henry!
http://youtu.be/C_Xg6Zt3vDo
sklock65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

A few things to add...

If they do suggest ivermectin ask if they are opposed to giving Revolution instead. Mine said she usually does Ivermectin but if I preferred she had no issue doing Revolution, should the issue ever come up.

If they want to put him under anesthesia just for a check up... run out the door.

Ask what kind of surgeries they have performed on Hedgies and what they perform most often. I might even ask (although I didn't LOL) what they do if they don't have the answer... do they have another hedgehog vet expert they call? are they willing to research if they don't know? etc etc Hedgehogs aren't very common pets so it is possible that your vet won't know everything about them and that's not completely bad. What is bad is when they start guessing or just plain don't care to find out or take the trouble to find out.

They should ALWAYS listen to you. If you tell them to do or not to do something they should listen to you. If you have a suggestion (like giving Revolution b/c Ivermectin can be dangerous) they should listen to you!

Take a blanket or something with you to put on the exam table so your baby doesn't have to go on the cold metal table and has something that smells familiar .

That's all I can think of right now. Let us know how it goes! And post lots of pictures of your baby when you get him!

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just went to the vet with piggy. The vet was really nice and he seemed to have a lot of experience and know a lot about hedgehogs. It's nice to know that he has a vet here in case something happens.

he handled him very well and didn't use gloves or try and put him under for the exam so that's great!

Lilysmommy likes this.
aubreyhasahedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Good to hear! It's so reassuring when you are able to walk out of the vet's office feeling confident

Henry!
http://youtu.be/C_Xg6Zt3vDo
sklock65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

I wouldn't take your new hog in right away. You'll want to give him a while to settle in with you. A couple weeks would be a decent amount of time. Vet visits can be extremely frustrating when the hedgie not only distrusts the vet, but the owner as well. That also gives you a while to observe him and make a list of any concerns or questions.

Good luck with your little one!
Mel_W likes this.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
first vet visit, new hedgehog, vet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in