Pig ate a $100 bill!! Concern about bacteria & chemicals - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Pig ate a $100 bill!! Concern about bacteria & chemicals

I let Pig run around my room while I cleaned his cage and he ate part of a $100 that I had sitting on top of my savings box on the floor. First of all, c'mon Pig, you couldn't have eaten a $5? You had to go for a $100??

Should I be worried about all the bacteria (an probably cocaine) he ingested? I found him under the bed anointing like crazy, but the foam was pink. Could all those chemicals and dyes hurt him?

Should I deploy protocol "409 emergency fluid saturation?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

I tried forcing water with the eye dropper and it was a no go. Like a stubborn little toddler clenching their mouth shut. Tried to entice him with watermelon and he didn't take that, either. Probably because I have him at work today so I can keep an eye on him, and he's a bit frazzled from the car ride. I'll keep trying to get fluids in him throughout the day. Ugh.

At least the $100 is still usable...
Old 07-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

That $100 may go towards a vet trip! Just keep and eye in him. How much did he eat?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
YourSoJelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

oh man...yeah..money is so dirty. If the piece was small and you see it pass in his stool, I would hope he would be ok. A vet visit never hurt though!

P.B./Pinto Bean/Peeberton/Peebs/Little Miss
verucacherry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Abbys, if it were me I would just monitor him really closely if he only got a very tiny amount. Watch for any signs of blockage especially and if he is not pooping normally, having diarrhea, loose stools, vomitting- at the FIRST sign of that get him in right away.
Also incase there was anything toxic on the bill monitor for any signs of toxicity- vomiting, lethargy, change in behavior, any neurological issues, etc.
I would think he will end up being okay but it's best to watch him like a hawk in the mean time. I wouldn't go crazy trying to get fluids into him if it is really stressing him out- if you offer him some mealies or a treat will he eat that? Or meat baby food with some water mixed in with that?
Just try to stay stress-free around him and keep him comfortable so that it is easiest to notice any changes and be able to pinpoint those changes on him ingesting the bill the best that you can.

And I forgot, try to see if it passes in his stool. If he ate a larger amount I'd call my vet just to see what she thinks- she would probably tell me to just watch him really closely but it's always nice to put a call in so they know what is going on incase he DOES start showing any symptoms, etc.
nikki likes this.

"Think Occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the Sight."

Stellara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Oh my goodness, poor Pig! I hope it passes through his stool.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks everyone! He only ate the corner, maybe the size of a dime. I'll wake him up again in a few minutes to re-try water with the eye dropper and watermelon, and I'll pick up some baby food on the way home after work.

I don't think a vet could do anything at this point. When he ate the 409 a few months ago they told me to call pet poison control because that's what they would do for an animal who had eaten a foreign substance anyway. For now I'll stick with their advice from last time and force fluids.

I'm expecting him to have fun-colored and unpleasant poop for the next day or two, but if he doesn't poop at all, or if the abnormal poop continues I'll get him to the vet.

And while I was writing this, guess who woke up on his own for a "midnight" snack and drink of water? While he was nomming I put a cube of watermelon in his dish and he gobbled that up and drank some more water.

Man, I hope he's ok. We were on such a good vet-free streak for a few months and I want to keep it that way!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Pig, you little stinker! I can't think of any better advice than what you've already gotten, so just wanted to post some good thoughts. Hopefully there wasn't anything too terrible on the bill! I would imagine if the bill's still usable, he didn't get a lot of it? Let us know how he does!
abbys likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I, too, don't have any extra advise to give. I did want to say that I found your "cocaine" reference rather amusing lol.

Your hedgie has expensive taste :P Keep us updated please!

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

I wouldn't force water into him, that's just going to stress him out. Just leave him be but keep an eye out for any changes in behaviour, eating or pooping. If you stress him out trying to get water in him he could end up having stress related poop issues and you won't know if it was the bill that causes it or the stress. Many kids have ended up putting coins in their mouth or chewing on bills and have survived with no issues or treatment.
LarryT likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in