Food stuck in cheek? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Food stuck in cheek?

Has anyone had this happen before?

I'm in the process of switching Olive to Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul Light, but am mixing it with the mix that the breeder gave me (which is a ridiculous mix of six Purina and Fancy Feast cat foods).

Anyway, after playing and cuddling with hedgie I plopped her back into her cage so we could eat dinner and she could eat dinner (her cage is next to our couch). Everyone was happily munching away until I looked at her and she had a big triangle-shaped piece of Fancy Feast stuck in her little cheek! It looked almost like how a hamster would keep something in it's cheek, but it was bothering her because she was trying to get it out with her paws. My BF jumped up and held her and I managed to pry the food out of her mouth in two trys. I don't think she was hurt at all because she ran into her house for about 5 minutes, then came back out and started chowing down on green pepper.

Is this a common thing with hedgies? Do you think I should consider grinding the cat food or something?
_gatecrasher_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Food stuck in cheek?

I've not heard of any getting it stuck in their cheek before but certainly it can happen as is proved by your girl. Normally kibble will get caught in the roof of their mouth. It certainly wouldn't hurt to break the food in slightly smaller pieces.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Food stuck in cheek?

Thanks Nancy! It was such a scare! Maybe I'll try chopping the kibble a little on a cutting board with a sharp knife before giving to to Olive. I'll have to keep an eye out for it getting stuck to the roof of her mouth too. Nevertheless, after everything had blown over I immediately read the article on here about choking. Scary stuff!
_gatecrasher_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in