Help me! My new hedgie quit eating!!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Help me! My new hedgie quit eating!!!

My hedgehog isn't eating... She quit eating a day and a half ago. What do i hand feed her? I am so worried. I dont want anything to happen to her. She is only a baby. I bought her from a registered breeder. I have no clue what could be wrong with her. She is not lethargic, she still runs on her wheel and acts like a happy and healthy hedgehog but i am extremely worried about her not eating.

I am open for any questions, opinions, answers, and sudjestions. Please dont hesitate to give me sugestions, all i want is my new hedgie to be ok. If she needs to see a vet i will take her to the vet.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Help me! My new hedgie quit eating!!!

Are you definitely sure she isn't eating? It sounds a bit tedious but you can try counting the kibble to really be sure.

I would also suggest calling your breeder. They should be available to answer questions/concerns like that...and it would also be good to know if that baby has already had any history like that. If it really gets down to it I have read of people needing to syringe feed their hedgies. Or maybe try baby food to see if at least you can get something down.

Of course a last resort would be a call or visit to the vet.

Hope you get it figured out...keep us posted!

Henry!
http://youtu.be/C_Xg6Zt3vDo
sklock65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I give her 62 kibbles each day and the food today is the same amount. Her food is blue buffalo duck and blue buffalo weight control. Im pretty sure those foods are ok. I contacted my breeder (happy hedgies) to see what they think. I will keep you guys posted. Also she is quilling, can that affect her eating habits?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hopefully the breeder gets back to you. I'm not sure if eating less is ever associated with quilling. They can be very uncomfortable and irritable but I would assume a hedgie not eating is never really supposed to be happening.

Hope you get this figured out!

Can you try baby food or something else in the meantime?

Henry!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got this cat canned chicken treat. I gave her a little bit and she loved it! I mixed some in with her cat chow and she started eating it. Yay! I mixed some with her food cause i really wanted her to get food into her system. Im actually so happy. I will still keep you post HHC group just incase something goes terribly wrong.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would say that's a good sign...yay!!

Henry!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would definitely call the breeder since it can't hurt. A good breeder will be more than happy to talk to you and help you through this as well as give you any information she has on the babies' past preferences or issues food wise. I've had some hedgies that on a few occasions did not each much for a night every so often but that she ate not a single kibble is concerning.
How recently did you get her and did anything change in her environment in the past few days that could have made her nervous or stressed? Did her food change recently and maybe she doesn't like this new food? Is she drinking her water normally?
You may just need to try a different mix of high quality cat foods to find what she likes if it is just a preference issue. For now encouraging her to eat with the wet food sounds good to me, especially since it will help to keep her hydrated if she isn't drinking enough either. If the lack of appetite continues and especially if there are any added abnormalities I would bring her to the vet.

"Think Occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the Sight."

Stellara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

I got her last week on wednesday. I think i got this figured out she eats her food now since i put some chicken cat treat in it. I think this treat is a winner, Rosalia loves it!!!! I will put this treat in her food for a few days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in