Mite eradication - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mite eradication

I have had my first hedgehog for about five weeks now, and when I got him he was itching a bit so I was a little concerned about mites or fleas, but then concluded that it was most likely quilling. However, last week he began itching much more and seemed to be quilling less. I read on a forum somewhere that if your hog has mites you might be able to spot them on a black surface, so when he scratched over a black part of my rug I looked closely and was able to spot one very small, moving white dot. It doesn't seem to be a very serious case (he's not losing quills or anything), so I made an appointment with the vet the next day to prevent it from worsening. I wasn't too pleased with the vet, but she gave me a vial of Ivomec to administer .01mm topically once weekly for a month.

Before I went I read up more about mite treatment, and saw that revolution seems to be the preferred medication, and that injecting ivermectin is the worst as it can kill them.
My question is this: is ivomec the same as ivermectin? And if so can it also be harmful if applied topically instead of by injection? Is ivomec safe and effective?

Also I have some basic questions:
Of course I am cleaning his cage daily, but is it necessary to do anything specific to ensure that he doesn't get reinfected? Such as clean with bleach, vacuum the rug after every play time to get any mites that he may scratch off? Should I scrub the cage every day?
*The vet said to just clean the cage like I would had he not gotten mites, but this didn't seem right. Will the medicine simply be in his system long enough to outlast the mites life-cycle and make reinfection impossible? and thus heavy cleaning unnecessary? That's what it seemed the vet was implying. I guess to put it simply is the medicine enough, or do I need to do anything else to prevent reinfection?
thkissel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Mite eradication

Ivomec is the same as Ivermectin. The topical treatment is less dangerous than the injections, but it's still more dangerous than Revolution. With the injections, often hedgehogs are fine with the first dose, but have a reaction that can quickly lead to death from the second dose. Personally, I wouldn't risk even the topical treatment - it'd be safest to try and get Revolution from that vet or another one.

As far as cleaning, from what I did and what I've read (but it's been a few years since I dealt with mites, so if I'm off on anything, someone please correct!), I would just clean and replace the bedding daily and make sure there's nothing wooden in the cage (mites can burrow into the wood and reinfect him later). I didn't use bleach or anything, just my usual cleaner (chlorhexidine). I don't recall vacuuming or anything either, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to do so, just to be safe. Others might have more information on how long mites can survive off the host, on carpeting, etc. I'm not sure, and that may dictate whether vacuuming is a good idea or not.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in