Quill Help?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quill Help??

HELP! I have quill questions! We have had Sneezy for about a year now, and he is super and healthy and happy from what we can tell. When I check out his little quills I notice new baby quills growing, some are smaller and thinner than the ones he has, is that normal? or does that mean he is not getting some nutrient that he needs??? Another question- I found a curved quill that grew in, is it safe to cut it so that it does not grow back into his little body? Or do their quills have nerves in them? He has always shed a lot of quills too- like 5 or 6 each time he is out. There are no bald spots, and we check with a microscope for mites, he does not itch or look like he is in any discomfort- i think we just have a general non-knowledge of quills- so any help would be super!! thanks so much!
casemac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Quill Help??

Other people have posted about curved quills and the responses didn't say what to do if anything. I think that it may just be something that happens. Maybe try a forum search on bent quills to see if you can find those posts.

As for the smaller thinner quills. I think that is normal if they are growing around the edge of his normal quills and his fur. You should do some forum searches though and see if you can find anything that gives you more information.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Quill Help??

A lot of hedgies have curved visor quills, but I've never heard of it being bent so extreme to where it would come back to the skin. If that's the case, you can go ahead and cut it so it doesn't poke Sneezy. The quills are just modified hairs, so it won't cause pain.

Year quillings are common, as are seasonal "shedding". It doesn't sound like the quill loss should be a cause for concern.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in