Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hedgie sneezing, I'm not sure what to do (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20276)

Seasponges 02-25-2013 11:12 PM

Hedgie sneezing, I'm not sure what to do

Hey everyone, just joined this site today and I'm in need of urgent help. I got my hedgie on Friday and today she woke up sneezing and what not. I hope she doesn't have a URI I've only had her for 4 days :( I'm really worried about her and was hoping you guys could provide some insight and help me out

Seasponges 02-25-2013 11:30 PM

Re: Hedgie sneezing, I'm not sure what to do

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seasponges
Hey everyone, just joined this site today and I'm in need of urgent help. I got my hedgie on Friday and today she woke up sneezing and what not. I hope she doesn't have a URI I've only had her for 4 days :( I'm really worried about her and was hoping you guys could provide some insight and help me out

Info I left out in the original, the hedgehog is about 3 months old, owned for about 4 days, the temperature is 74 degrees, lighting provided from 8 a.m. til about 10 p.m.
Poop is normal a bit green.
Nose, she is sneezing, it's wet, and she's been sneezing all day.
Breathing is normal, could be slow with the sneezing.
Eating and exercising normally.
Skin scratching is occasionally.
No vomiting.
Normal activity.
and no meds.

moxieberry 02-25-2013 11:50 PM

What bedding do you have her on? Any kind of loose/substrate bedding (shavings, Carefresh, etc) is going to be dusty to some degree or another, and can cause respiratory irritation. If you use liners, things like a scented detergent can do the same. A hedgehog's nose should be moist like a dog's, and occasionally you'll see a drip or two of moisture, also like a dog's. If it's runny or bubbly, or you hear wheezing, that's a good sign of a URI. Sneezing without those other symptoms may be caused by something environmental, so you should rule that out first.

Seasponges 02-25-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moxieberry
What bedding do you have her on? Any kind of loose/substrate bedding (shavings, Carefresh, etc) is going to be dusty to some degree or another, and can cause respiratory irritation. If you use liners, things like a scented detergent can do the same. A hedgehog's nose should be moist like a dog's, and occasionally you'll see a drip or two of moisture, also like a dog's. If it's runny or bubbly, or you hear wheezing, that's a good sign of a URI. Sneezing without those other symptoms may be caused by something environmental, so you should rule that out first.

I currently have her on Carefresh Basic Blend it has like paper and kiln dried wood which looks like Aspen. What would wheezing sound like? I know she's sneezing for sure, but ever since I've looked up causes of sneezing I'm scared to death of losing my little girl so quickly. If I have a chance I will try and line her cage with fleece to rule that out, and it's so late, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow for a vet's help. I already emailed two vets so far to make sure I will get a reply ASAP. I hope it's just the bedding, since she's still getting accustomed to her new home. Let's hope I wake up tomorrow and hear her not sneezing :cry: any recommendations on anything else I could do as a precaution to help her and give her relief?

Lilysmommy 02-26-2013 12:02 AM

49 Attachment(s)
If you don't have a fleece blanket handy for switching to tonight, you can also use a sheet or pillow case (depending on size of cage) for a temporary bedding to see if her sneezing stops. Other than that, just make sure there's no fragrancey type things in the room and see how she is in the morning. If she's still sneezing even on different bedding, I would make an appointment and get her in. You have a couple days if she only just started sneezing today - it's good that you noticed so quickly. I'm sure she'll be fine, even if she does have to go in and get meds! Good luck. :)

Seasponges 02-26-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
If you don't have a fleece blanket handy for switching to tonight, you can also use a sheet or pillow case (depending on size of cage) for a temporary bedding to see if her sneezing stops. Other than that, just make sure there's no fragrancey type things in the room and see how she is in the morning. If she's still sneezing even on different bedding, I would make an appointment and get her in. You have a couple days if she only just started sneezing today - it's good that you noticed so quickly. I'm sure she'll be fine, even if she does have to go in and get meds! Good luck. :)

I might have a pillowcase somewhere, I'll just have to dump the bedding or something real fast tonight. Maybe tomorrow I can go out and find something suitable, I really hope she doesn't have a URI it's saddening because I haven't had her for long.

Seasponges 02-26-2013 07:23 AM

Just a quick update, so I woke this morning, and I noticed my hedgie awake, so I uncovered her hide and let her run for a bit, she doesn't seem to be sneezing anymore, still going to keep an eye on her though

jerseymike1126 02-26-2013 11:44 AM

sounds like a URI to me. see a vet who will probably give you an oral anti biotic and it should clear up. also it is very important to say bless you after the hedgehog sneezes...

abbys 02-26-2013 01:32 PM

Just out of curiosity, how do you distinguish URI sneezing from random-dust-in-the-nose sneezing? What other symptoms are there? I'll hear Piglet sneeze maybe once a day and I just thought it was cute, but now I'm worried that this means he's been sick for a long time! :(

Seasponges 02-26-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbys
Just out of curiosity, how do you distinguish URI sneezing from random-dust-in-the-nose sneezing? What other symptoms are there? I'll hear Piglet sneeze maybe once a day and I just thought it was cute, but now I'm worried that this means he's been sick for a long time! :(

I don't know, some of the symptoms matched, but she seemed to have stop sneezing wont know for sure until I return home in about an hour or so. Just look at the symptoms and all, I'm just probably overreacting because I barely got her, but I don't want her sick so early on