New Neglected rescue :'c - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Neglected rescue :'c

I just went to pick up a new 'rescue' hedgie an hour ago. when I get a new hedgehog I typically move their quills and look at their skin. WELL, it looked like she had a layer of dirt on her skin, not the quills, just the skin. so I decided i'd give her a bath, just to get her clean. when I started bathing her, first of all her water was running off her with a brown color and secondly, there are fleas on this poor baby!
I've come to the conclusion that's she's probably never had a bath in her lifetime. she looks young, but I could be wrong. she's a lot smaller than my adult females, so i'm only assuming.
is there a way to get her in better condition? can I use a cat/kitten flea shampoo to clean her up, I feel so bad for the poor baby:c

Her story: I found this lady on craigslist, wanted to get rid of her hedgehog, and other various tanks. asked $50 for all the hedgies stuff, the extra tanks, bedding,cage, hedgehog, etc. I didn't want the poor girl to get sold to someone who knows nothing about them, just cause she's a cheap pet, so I went to get her. this lady was weird. just plain and simple weird. and from what I saw, she had four cat, and who knows what else. I just want this girl to have a great rest of her life:c
ANY help is greatly appreciated.
RiaDominique is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 01:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New Neglected rescue :'c

the poor baby =( im glad shes in better hands now! im not sure about the kitten/cat flea shampoo tho. i dont know if itd be too harsh. i didnt even know hedgies could get fleas. probably means her poor cats have fleas too. thats just terrible.

i guess this girl just needs a new start. is her skin dry too? her nails prob need to be cut too and maybe get her weight up if she seems too skinny to you. more than anything, im sure she needs lots of love and affection.

im sorry i couldnt be of more help. im curious to know about the fleas tho. maybe a vet could help? please keep us updated. best wishes for the two of you!

Rest easy little girl, may you finally be at peace <3
Mommy will always love you sweetie
2/17/11-3/11/13
fionas_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Take her to the vet and get Revolution. It'll get rid of both fleas and mites.

As for size and age wise, it's possible she's been malnourished and will never actually grow to full size and her growth may be stunted.

Glad you took her in!
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

she had her on a diet of (in her words) "any cat food really works", she had her eating kitten food when I picked her up and even gave me the rest of the bag.
she had been giving her small mammal treats like for bunnies,mice,rats,etc. is that even good for hedgies? she bit me twice while I tried giving her a bath so I don't believe she's ever gotten one:c
her nails are curving to the side and under, if I can, i'll upload a picture.
she seems skinny, but I've gotten her to eat some of my hedgehog food. i'm just scared about the fleas, she has a little bit of dry skin, but that may be due to her getting her first bath, doesn't appear to have mites, just FLEAS-_-
should I put her on the kitten food that my nursing momma was on to get her weight back up, or do I just feed her the food and hope she gains more weight?
the vet I take the hedgies to is like 40 mins away, so ill try making an appt. but for now I want to know how I should plan for the future,
she's really squirmy, I tried cutting her nails and only got two back ones:c that's be a work in progress lol.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Id say 98 percent of hedgies don't like their nails clipped so to only be able to get a few at a time is common. Just keep trying bc it might pain her to walk if they're too long.

She probably never did get a bath which is why it upset her. Def try to get her to the vet for the flea problem as that could be making her grumpier than usual.

Do you know how much she weighs? If she seems underweight you should buy some of the cat food that breeders on this site recommend but maybe add in a higher fat one to the mix.

Rest easy little girl, may you finally be at peace <3
Mommy will always love you sweetie
2/17/11-3/11/13
fionas_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Do you have hedgehogs already? I would be a bit worried about the fleas getting on my other pets. However, like someone else said you can use Revolution to get rid of whatever fleas and/or mites she may have. You can get the kitten sized tube and depending on her weight, the # of drops to put on her will be different. You need an Rx from a vet - but you can get the medicine from 1-800-PetMeds. I am just not sure of the dosage, especially dealing with fleas.
I don't think it would hurt to give her a one time bath with some flea shampoo for kittens if it is mild, but it would be better to treat her with the Revolution the sooner the better. Also I would be really careful about getting any into her eyes - and make sure it does not contain TEA TREE OIL because that is really toxic for hedgies.

I would be careful about adding in too many different foods at once..maybe just give her the kitten food + your other hedgehog food for now and slowly get rid of the kitten food the lady gave you. It is possible that she just wasn't feeding her enough food. If you have any mealworms I am sure it would be OK to give her a few of them/day as well. I am glad she ended up with a caring person!
Good luck and keep us posted,
Susan H.
shmurciakova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have three other hedgies as well, two of which were rescues too. Right now my new addition is in a "quarantine cage" in another room of the house, I'm to afraid to even keep her near my others right now, I'm also getting a new hedgie at the end of the month because someone's getting tired of it because "he's not playful" -_- it's really sad. I'm going to take her to the vet next week(only availabilities) and see about the revolution. For now I've mixed my hedgie food with the kitten food she was on and I'm starting a "weaning" process to get her completely onto my hedgie food. She's a very friendly girl from what I can tell, she's just a little grumpy now since the bath, I'm going to weigh her tomorrow(the scale's at a friends house right now)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in