Oral Cancer - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oral Cancer

Hello, my hedgehog was diagnosed with oral cancer today :'( They said that she had one big spot on the left side of her mouth and a few little ones on the other side. The left side is causing her eye to swell shut. They said that she had weeks left to live, which really is terrible. She is only 3 and a half years old. I was wondering is there was a chance, despite what they say, that it might go away? Is there any treatment possible that would help in any way?
love-bug98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Oral Cancer

I'm sorry for the horrible diagnoses. I've been there way too many times.

Unfortunately, no, there is no chance this will go away and it is only going to get worse. If it has moved from one side to the other and causing her eye to bulge, that means it is into her head and at any time could cause some not very good symptoms. Sad as it is, I suggest you help her cross very soon as you don't want to put her through suffering that can come at any moment.

Hugs

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

As far as it "going away" if it is cancer it will not just "go away" without proper treatment. Did the vet biopsy the mass and send it to a pathologist? I had a hedgie that had an oral mass and we sent samples for a diagnosis before assuming the worst. I would have it biopsied to make sure that that is what you are dealing with and then go from there. As for treatment aside from surgical excision of the mass and possibly radiation I am not sure if there are any other options. Hopefully it is just an abscess (possibly from diseased teeth?). I would do some further diagnostics if you haven't already before assuming the worst...good luck!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am very sorry about Lacey. I had a hedgie (my first one) several years ago. Her name was Snoball - she really was the little love of my life! She ended up developing breast (mammary) cancer and passed away when she was 3 1/2. She had surgery for it 2x and I gave her a supplement called IP-6 which can be purchased at health food stores and sprinkled on their food. I think it does help to boost the immune system and might help if the tumor was removed and then you were trying to boost her immunity, but sadly, other than being sure that the diagnosis is correct, I don't know what else you can do except make her comfortable. I am terribly sorry.
I wish you both the best.
-Susan H.
shmurciakova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

This sounds all too familiar as just under a year ago I was dealing with my also 3.5 year old girl having an oral tumour. Her's was right on her lip though and was putting pressure on her nose, eventually causing her to have mucous come out of her nose, as if it was stuffy. I put Pepper down when I noticed this, because although she still had a great attitude and was 'acting' normal, I knew it could not be comfortable, and her tumour was 'open', sort of like a big, wet, bulbous scrape of some sort. I felt it was best not to let the cancer over take her until she dwindled away slowly (as this is what I did unintentionally with my other hedgehog) and instead to help her cross the bridge peacefully and not in pain.

I'm really sorry to hear you are going through this. I wish you and your hedgehog the best <3.
pickles17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

I agree with Nancy, oral cancers are horrible. I've lost a few hedgies from it in the past. Once it starts to push on an eye and has spread as this one seems to have, there is little you can do. Spend as much time with her as you can and tell her you love her. I have always helped my babies cross when its gotten to this point. I'm sorry.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

What heartbreaking news. I'm so sorry to hear this. As Nancy said, it would probably be best to help her cross before it gets really bad. If I were you, I'd set up a day with your vet to bring her in to be put down, and just spend her last days cuddling with her and giving treats.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am so sorry to hear this, too many of our little ones get oral cancer.
I wish we could find out why.
Love her and cuddle her as much as you can.

Will be thinking of you and Lacey.
ML

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

What are the chances of her being able to pass away with out being euthanized? My daughter really doesn't want to have do that, but we also want her to pass painlessly and peacefully.
love-bug98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Letting her pass on her own will cause her immense suffering and will not be a good experience for any of you. Hedgehogs are great at hiding illness and pain so by the time she is showing signs of it, she will be really bad. Euthanasia is the kindest option.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in