Possible Constipation, opinions wanted :) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Possible Constipation, opinions wanted :)

I don't think my little gal is feeling very good right now.

She is 12 weeks old, and I feed her a mix of Blue Buffalo Kitten, and Taste of the Wild Canyon blend. She has been drinking and eating the same as she has for a few weeks (a good bit of water and generally 40 of the BB kitten, and about 8 of the Taste of the Wild kibbles). the past couple of nights I've noticed that she hasn't been defecating as much as she has been in the past. She still urinates, just not as much poo. After her vet visit last Thursday (poo was negative for parasites) and subsequent bath she did have a little bit of green mucous in her stool, but not much.

Two nights ago I gave her some pumpkin, as I had read it was good for constipation. She ate a couple of bites and then anointed with the rest (she is still orange, LOL)

Tonight I went to get her out for a bit more snuggle time, and I noticed a bit of very sticky poop along side a bit of normal formed brown poo. I went to pick her up, and I've never heard her huffle so much at me. Albeit it could be that she is having an uncomfortable night due to quilling, but I don't want to count it out as I am worried about the probable constipation.

Ack! Worried first time hedgie mom here! Any opinions appreciated.

Katis228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Possible Constipation, opinions wanted :)

You may want to try a bath. My Mimzy goes about 3 times when in water.

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Perhaps I'll try that tonight. Normally when I give her a bath the water level is only up to her tummy. So, we'll try a bit higher water level for a nice little soak.

Can't hurt her, and it can only make her feet cleaner!

Thanks for the idea

Any other constipation cures out there?

Old 01-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Warm bath produced nothing.

She did eat a bit more pumpkin (and of course anointed with bit too). I was thinking of sprinkling a couple of drops of flax seed oil on her food tonight. But then I remembered I also have some ground flax seed meal in the kitchen. Would that be okay to give to her? Obviously only the tiniest of tiny amounts.

What say you, HHC friends?

Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

When I thought Buddy was constipated I put a little olive oil in his food and that seemed to do the trick. Could try the oil : ) as far as I was aware, pumpkin was for firming up their poo, not making them go easier : / I might be mistaken though.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathiriel
When I thought Buddy was constipated I put a little olive oil in his food and that seemed to do the trick. Could try the oil : ) as far as I was aware, pumpkin was for firming up their poo, not making them go easier : / I might be mistaken though.
I've been reading it both ways about pumpkin. Very confusing. She didn't actually eat more than a mouthful or two of pumpkin, she mainly anointed with it....and is still orange

I talked with the breeder and she suggested cutting out all treats, and just going with kibble and water for a few days. Because she is defecating, just not as much as in the past. I had been giving her mealworms, and the ocasional turkey baby food, so I'm just going to cut back like she suggested and see what happens.

Thanks for the help, everybody!

Old 01-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

About the mealworms--are they live or the freeze dried?

The freeze dried can cause constipation and blockages.

I find that live crickets make my Nara have LOTS of poopies. They are pretty much all fiber.

I put her in the bathtub (block the drain) and let several live crickets out and she chases them around and snarfs them down.

Good luck--LOL yep, you will get an orange hedgie from pumpkin. (if you want pink, try strawberries!)

ML

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathiriel
Pumpkin is one of those weird things...it can do both things, firm up loose poops or help move things along when they're constipated. Something to do with the fiber in pumpkin, I don't remember the details.

I hope the breeder's suggestion works! My standby suggestions have always been the pumpkin, oil, or squash baby food.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLady
About the mealworms--are they live or the freeze dried?

The freeze dried can cause constipation and blockages.

I find that live crickets make my Nara have LOTS of poopies. They are pretty much all fiber.

I put her in the bathtub (block the drain) and let several live crickets out and she chases them around and snarfs them down.

Good luck--LOL yep, you will get an orange hedgie from pumpkin. (if you want pink, try strawberries!)

ML
Freeze dried. She doesn't get very many, and not every night for that reason (constipation). Weirdly, I've yet to find a pet shop that sells live mealworms! I equate the freeze dried mealies to potato chips, a good treat but you shouldn't eat too many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy
I hope the breeder's suggestion works! My standby suggestions have always been the pumpkin, oil, or squash baby food.
I think she was just having a couple of "off" nights, because she has already produced two magnificent poops tonight! LOL I think she just likes to make me worry. Freakin' goofball. :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in