hedgie not eating/drinking - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 03:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
olo

Default hedgie not eating/drinking

my problem as follows:

my hedgie (5 months old) stopped eating. she is drinking very little too. well, she would go on diet from time to time for a day, two or three in the past so at first i did not pay attention to that. then green stool apeared, but it went back to normal in a couple of days. then she stopped eating again. first three days i wasn't worried much about that as this was kind of usual for her. then there was green stool again, but this symptom disapeared soon. for a numer of days now she refuses food (i give her Pro Plan), but does eat a mealworm or two. what i am worried about most is that she tends to drink very little if none at all for the last couple of days. i used a syringe to have her drink at least some water yesterday.

situation today: she refuses having any food, it seems she did not drink much either. she does seem to have lost some weight. she poops very little (no suprise though as she doesn't eat). stool is of brownish colour. she is rather active, eyes are beady and brigh. she even started showing interest in me (she usually is rather shy and grumpy).

i am going to visit a vet, but there is a small problem here. at the place i live the only vet i could find skilled enough for exotic animals is working at the zoo of our city. unfortunately, as there are no african pygmies there, he is not quite familiar with them. i addressed him once regarding problems with the skin of a hedgie. he did a great job helping us, but it took some time for him to get info about our little creatures. could you give me some hints at what could possibly be the problem with my hedgie so that i could save vet's time and give him at least vague directions what to look for?

p.s. there is some reconstruction work done during daytime at home, so sometimes there is more noise than usually. i though, maybe this could also hove some influence?
olo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: hedgie not eating/drinking

It could be the noise that is stressing her out making her not want to eat but if it's quiet at night, she should be eating at night. Is her cage in an area away from the activity?

She must start eating and you will need to syringe feed and water her. Get some canned cat food. There is a syringe feeding food available at the vets here called Hills A/D. It will easily pass through a syringe. If you can't get it, regular canned food will work but you will need to make is so there are no lumps. If you have a blender use it to get it into a paste like consistency with no lumps.

Syringe her every couple of hours and give her water and food both. You can also try leaving kibble in her bed with her. Count all the kibble you put in her cage so you can keep track of exactly how much you are giving her. You can also leave her a small dish of canned food near the opening of her bed area. Try breaking the kibble in half or quarters in case she is having difficulty eating.

A grumpy one suddenly becoming friendly often means they are sick. Get some food into her and try to find a vet that will see her.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
olo

Default Re: hedgie not eating/drinking

Nancy, thanks for reply and advice.

she is away from the area of activity. i.e., in other room, has the door closed. and there is no noise at night.

i will try asking the vet i take my cat to about such food. it is evening already at my place, so i'll have to wait for tomorow. i had her eat two mealworms though. she used to love them, now she's rather indifferent about them.

and also i am going take her to a vet from the zoo i mentioned. maybe anyone could give a hint or two about possible ailments? so that i could suggest the vet and have him find a solution faster? could that be some infection in digestive system, or simmilar things? i'm no vet myself unfortunately.
olo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in