My hedgie isn't drinking much? Or eating? - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: My hedgie isn't drinking much? Or eating?

No problem! I love being on here and responding to posts and helping when I can. At least Sunseed isn't too bad...Could've been Pretty Pets or Vitakraft (Vitacrap)! Sounds like grinding is definitely a good idea then...I plan to try it out when I have hedgehogs again & see how much better they do with chewing. But then...I also want to try a lot more in the way of insects & natural/homemade diets when I have hedgies again, so we'll see! I can't wait to have animals to make food for again. Good luck with introducing her to Blue Buffalo & I hope grinding the food helps her out!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'm glad you do, you've definitely helped me with a lot! You sound like you're really looking forward to getting hedgies again...I can't wait for you to as well, I know they'll be well taken care of and spoiled :]

On the topic of bugs! I'm just going to keep bombarding you with questions until you hate me hahaha. I've tried giving Hannibell mealworms, but she doesn't like them; I tried giving them to her by hand and she wouldn't take it, and when I mixed one in with her food she spat it all out and I swear she glared at me haha. Once they dislike a certain worm are they apt to dislike the rest, or is each worm different?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanks! And they'll certainly eat well if nothing else! Trust me, I won't hate you...you're giving me an excuse to ramble on about hedgehogs, one of my favorite things to do!

Some hedgehogs are weird and just do not like mealworms...Make sure they're definitely live (not freeze-dried or anything), and you could always try gutloading them with some veggies to see if it changes the taste. Have you found any veggies that she likes? Try feeding the mealworms different veggies, or maybe try apple or something, and then try giving her one...who knows, it might help. Lily always hated carrots and I tried feeding her crickets that had been chowing down on carrots and had a bellyful...guess who ended up with chewed up crickets spat out on her?

It won't hurt her if she flat-out refuses though, there's been other hedgies on here who hate mealworms no matter what. You could always try some different insects, like crickets or roaches. I also found a website yesterday (Exotic Nutrition, advertised on this site sometimes in the banner ads) that sells canned snails and got unreasonably excited. I'm sure they'd be disgusting, but I wonder how hedgies would feel about them! We had at least one member on here that fed her hedgies snails regularly.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Haha, I'm glad to hear that! Now I don't have to feel so awkward about asking so many questions! :]

The ones I tried feeding her were definitely live...they were in the fridge a bit, so I let one warm up til it 'came back to life' and tried to give it to her, but she wanted nothing to do with it. I'm not sure about vegetables yet (she's a really picky eater), but I know she likes different kinds of meats, especially chicken. Maybe I could try gutloading them with that? And how do I go about that, do I just leave a piece of it in the container with them?

I'm really not too worried about it, because I supplement her diet with other forms of protein (high-protein baby food, mostly, as well as protein and vitamin packed treats), so I know she's getting what she needs. I just thought it was odd that an animal that's supposed to be an insectivore wouldn't touch them haha. I could definitely try crickets or roaches; is there any concern about them possibly biting my hedgie back? I know there's some worry about that with the larger mealworms, but I'm not sure about crickets. Even so, I could buy the baby ones.......Sorry, thinking out loud haha.

Oh wow, that sounds really...interesting? A mix of interesting and disgusting, lol! I wonder how good those would be for hedgies..How did the hedgies of that particular owner react to them? I'm assuming they enjoyed them? Haha
Old 01-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm not sure if mealworms would eat meat or not, but I suppose you could try? Just be careful about how long the meat is out with them, so it doesn't spoil. It might still be better to just try a veggie or apple or something and see if it makes any difference. Given how quickly Lily always inhaled her crickets, I don't think there's any worry of them biting back. Just offer them head-first, and make sure they're not the really large, full-grown ones. I always went for the medium-sized ones for Lily. I also only fed them live to her a few times, and then started freezing them so I could hide them in her cage. She absolutely loved it! I never tried roaches with her, but if you go for around the same size as with crickets, I doubt there'd be much biting risk from them either. And as far as I remember, those hedgies liked the snails! Bleh.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Oh, I wouldn't be just leaving the meat in her cage; when I give her stuff like that I only do it during the times when I'm holding her. I'm not sure about giving her roaches (bleagh!), but I might try giving her some crickets..Seeing as she's on the smaller side, I might actually try just getting the baby-sized crickets...I'll probably get a mix of the two sizes and see which she prefers. Now that I'm putting in a second 'room' for her, I'm thinking of giving her a digging box too..any chance you could tell me how to set one of those up so I could hide her crickets in there? Haha
Old 01-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

Easiest way to do a dig box is to get a shoebox-sized sterilite container, cut a "door" in one end, and fill it with bits of fleece, shredded tissue/paper towel, or some sort of substrate bedding. I like fleece because you can wash it - use one of those mesh bags that are used for putting delicates in the laundry. If you use substrate like carefresh or shavings, I suggest freezing the bag overnight to kill any mites that it might have in it. You can leave the lid on or have it off, whichever you prefer.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hey! I'm sorry, I forgot to come back and say thanks for the help, Moxie :]

Do you have any suggestions as to what treats would be healthy for her, by chance? I've tried just about everything..various form of insects, the yogurt chips that are sold for them, and she won't eat any of it. I'd like to give her something to dig for, but I'm out of ideas haha.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You could try putting plain cooked pieces of meat in there - wouldn't get too messy, I don't think. A lot of hedgehogs also adore watermelon, but that might get a bit messier. That's also more of a "sometime" treat, since it's mostly water and can cause diarrhea if they eat too much. Here's a thread with a list of other safe foods for treats, that might give you some more ideas - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19408

Old 01-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

When I get the money to I will be sending Alex a small bag of the kibble I have Sonic on to help hannibell on a better diet.
Sugargliderlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in