Hedgehog Sneezing! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog Sneezing!

Hi All.
I am not sure if this is the right section to post this question but here are my concerns:

My hog is still young. I am not sure of approximate age but under a year for sure.
I took him to the vet Friday (it is now Tuesday) because he was itchy and scratching very much.
I noticed some quills were falling out and very dry skin. My first thought was MITES!
He had been off and on sneezing as well and I would rather be safe than sorry...

So Friday, take him to the vet. NO MITES! Vet checks the inside of his mouth, no cold or sickness. He might have ringworm (said the vet but it's very rare apparently) so they did a culture on him. I will have those results in 10-20 days from that Friday. I was feeding him specific hedgehog food but the vet told me to get him on a steady diet of cat food mixed in. So I bought him Purina Cat food. (I asked the vet what kind of cat food to get him and he said "anything good" - how vague)

He is still itching very much and has lots of dry skin. I was thinking maybe he was/is quilling because he is so young - I will know the answer to that very soon. As for the sneezing, before the sneezing was every once in a while (which is normal and I was just freaking out says the vet) but since I changed his food he has been sneezing VERY often. At least I think it's sneezing. So for the past two days (this afternoon and yesterday) he has been sneezing a lot. No weird nose discharge, just sneezing. What could this be? I want to take him back to the vet but I feel cheated as he was just there FRIDAY! Wouldn't they have noticed something medically wrong aka cold, URI???
fayzuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Zalea Send a message via MSN to Zalea
Default Re: Hedgehog Sneezing!

How long have you had him? It could very well be quilling, the reason for the quill loss. They normally begin quilling at 8-12 weeks and some can quill for months after that. As long as there are no bald spots, it's probably just quilling. You can give a bath with colloidal oatmeal to help ease the itchiness and dry skin.
What kind of bedding do you have him on? This also relates to the question above of how long you've had him. If you recently put him on a different kind of bedding than he was on before, it could make him sneeze. It could also be because the bedding you're using is too dusty.
I would take a look at this thread: https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/v ... f=5&t=2219
Also feel free to browse the forum for similar topics. Someone else asked a similar question just within the last few days. There's a ton of information out there if you browse through.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dorasdaddy
Default Re: Hedgehog Sneezing!

You also need to read these 2 threads

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45

You will see from the list in the first thread that Purina Cat Chow is junk at best, most vets have no clue what to feed an APH. Reaper however spent about 6 months compiling this list based on the nutrition that our little ones need. I know that these foods can be on the expensive side, but if you will go to Petco or Petsmart then you can purchase the food with the added peace of mind of a 30 return policy if your little one doesnt like the food...just be sure to read on here on the proper way to transistion foods so as to not upset the tummy.

The second thread will show you if the Hedgehog food you are currently feeding is ok or not. Bottom half of the list should be thrown away immediately. Top half is a "junk food" at best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in