Please help I need some advice about my little guy sneezing. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Please help I need some advice about my little guy sneezing.

I had just recently bought a baby hedgehog about a week ago from a breeder. He eats and drinks like he should and is very active when we take him out to play. As gross as this may sound his poop is very healthy as well. Yesterday, when he was out playing i noticed that he was sneezing and licking his nose a lot more than he was doing before. I did a lot of research on these little guys before I went out to get him. He does not have pine or cedar or any of those bedding's, he has the bedding that is like soft paper that i bought from the pet store. I have also been informed that my little guy probably has a cold from drafts. I just realized today that he is pretty close to the door where the hallway is much colder than my apartment. Could that be all it is. If he does have a cold what do I do? I am really concerned about my little guy. I figure since I just noticed it the other day i would move him to a different place. I do always make sure that his cage stays nice and warm. I have a thermometer in his cage that has always read about 74 degrees. He also has a little heater on the side wall to keep the temp consistent. I am just really nervous about him and wanted some advice on what to do since I am very recently a new owner of a hedgehog.

Thanks
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dorasdaddy
Default Re: Please help I need some advice about my little guy sneezing.

Are you using carefresh or is it that stuff you can get at wal mart...i have heard of both causing sneezing from it being dusty...but it seems like the cheap stuff is the culprit more often than is the carefresh....the sneezing is just one of the reasons that most owners have switched to liners. that, along with the cost (liners are reuseable), ability to detect problems (can catch blood in urine/poop much quicker on a light colored liner than any type of bedding), no more bedding in the floor or water/food bowls and zero chance of mites made an overwhelming argument for me.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am using care fresh right now. How does using a liner work? Is it just a fabric at the bottom of the cage, how often would I change it? What type of fabric would I use? Any suggestions on liners would be great.

Thanks for all the advice it really helps since I'm new to hedgehogs haha

Old 04-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Liners are usually made of denim, corduroy, or fleece. I just bought a fleece blanket from Target or a similar store, then cut pieces out that fit Lily's cage. You can also make layered fleeces if you can sew.
How often you change the liners depends on how messy your hedgehog is. Lily is pretty clean, only does her business on her wheel or right in front, so I only have to change her liners every three or four days.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dorasdaddy

The best material to use is fleece. If you have sewing skill you can make two layer liners using fleece and flannel, denim or courderoy(sp?). The most cost effective thing to do is to go to Wal Mart, Target, K Mart, Alco or a similar discount store, purchase a cheap fleece blanket and cut it to the size of your cage. If you have a CWS wheel, or a pan under your wheel to catch urine run off and this is where your hedgie normally goes to potty, then you can usually go 2-4 days between changes with just some spot cleaning. If your little one likes to poo.pee every where then you may have to change it more often. Most people have 5-10 liners and when they get enough for a load they just pop them in the wash. You just have to make sure to trim any hemming off of the blankets to make sure the hedgie doesnt get caught in any loose threads. You can also take any remnants and cut them in to strips to put in hedgie hiding places to allow them to burrow and dig just like in bedding. this helps prevent them from digging under the liners.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

To add to the above, if you've made all the changes, and he is still sniffling, get him to a vet asap to prevent serious URI.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 03:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Shelby had a runny nose and was sneezing a bit when I first got her.
So I started watching her.. And it wasn't a runny nose!
She had been using a water bottle with her last owner and I gave her a water bowl (safety reasons) and when she would go to drink she would stick her nose in the water then back up a little and get a drink. She would then walk around for a minute sneezing and with water coming out of her nose (I felt sorry for her. went and bought a water bottle. but she wouldn't use it)
Took her about a week to learn to properly drink from the bowl.
Now no runny nose or sneezing!

So if your little one isn't having an issue with a bowl like mine. and it's not the bedding, I would take him to the vet.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Since this is a frequent concern with new babies, I've copied the information from my website into a sticky.

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...php?f=5&t=2219

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you so much. I just changed his bedding to a fleece a liner and moved him to a little bit of a warmer spot in the room. So now I will have to watch him closely. I hope he is not sick!
Old 04-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

It turns out that he had mites and because his immune system couldn't handle that and staying healthy he got a sinus infection. He ended up getting a shot and some medicine and he is finally beginning to show some improvement. I recommend Indian Prairie hospital, Dr. Ristich really worked well with my little guy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in