Trouble Walking & Curling into Ball - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trouble Walking & Curling into Ball

Hello there,

I recently adopted a new hedgehog named Pepper, she's about 4 months old and I've had her for about 3 months. When I first adopted her she was a very wobbly walker, but since she was so tiny I assumed she would grow out of it. She still ran on her wheel and whatever so I wasn't really concerned.

She still has trouble walking which I assume is from the way that she was born as I've read that that can happen. She has trouble bending her back legs and she even pivots on them when turning so I've tried to do "range of motion" type of exercises with her to get those legs to bend better.

Last night I am pretty sure she didn't run on her wheel, and I think she may have fell off because there was litter in her quills which I haven't seen on her before. I always hear her running at night because I get up frequently and didn't hear anything last night. I also noticed that she won't roll into a ball today, she is sleeping flat on her stomach when she normally sleeps in a ball.

Does anyone have any clue what this could be or if I should even be worried? My last hedgehog quickly declined so I am just constantly worried about Pepper going through something similar.
mightythor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2020, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Could this be Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome? I’m not super familiar with WHS, as I’ve been lucky enough for my hedgehogs to never have gotten it, but maybe look into that as a possibility?

I would recommend taking her to the vet as soon as possible, as such a sudden change in behavior is super concerning.

Is she eating or drinking? Maybe just put a little bit of food in her bowl, counting how much, so you can count it later and easily ell if she’s eaten.

Is she going potty at all?

Any quills falling out ?(I suppose that would be normal at her age because of quilling, but still something to look into)

Anything else concerning happening?

Is she able to walk?
Mr.Pricklesworth_Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2020, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Honestly, if her legs aren’t able to bend, there might be a joint issue going on there.
Inherited or born that way, I don’t know, but it’s definitely something to take her to the vet for.

Maybe they can take X-Rays and see what exactly is stopping those legs from bending, and if it is something that can spread to other joints or not.

If she is unable to exercise properly, then a other method of stimulation is needed. A hedgie-safe playpen maybe? She needs exercise, no doubt.

But first, I’d get her to a vet.
OddDarkMatter91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

Okay so for future - A wobbly hedgehog at any age is a cause of concern and should always be looked at.
It could be minor like too cold, but then it could be something that will become a whole lot more serious.

What exactly were these "range of motion type exercises"?
If you don't know what's causing it how do you know they would do any do good, and not cause more harm?

You definitely need to go to a vet asap and get her checked over. And make sure you tell the vet about the "range of motion type exercises"
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in