Green/Mucus Diarrhea - Autoimmune Disorder? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Green/Mucus Diarrhea - Autoimmune Disorder?

My girl, Poppy, just turned 2. She has been battling diarrhea for 2 months. It contains thick, sticky mucus and has an unhealthy smell to it. Usually it's a green color but at times it's been orange and even white. Typically it's just a blob of a mess and occasionally it has a semi shape but even then it still contains mucus and/or blood. She hasn't had any environmental or dietary changes - very stress free lifestyle except for the constant medication she's been having to take.

Originally my vet put her on a pink antibiotic suspension (I forgot the name of it) and her issues cleared up but were back in 4 days. Then he placed her on metronidazole suspension for 1 week. Her diarrhea cleared up and then came back within a week. After that we did the metronidazole suspension for 3 weeks along with benebac which I administered 2 hours after her nighttime dose of antibiotic. Well, this time we didn't even get to finish the 3 weeks of meds before the diarrhea returned.

She's had her GI tract scoped, her mouth checked, x rays and an ultrasound - everything looks fine. Fecal exam came back negative for parasites and bacteria. However, the bacteria could be a false negative due to the prolong use of antibiotics causing the bacteria not to grow on the media which is very common (microbiology background). She'd probably have to stay off antibiotics for a few weeks in order to have her stool culture grow - which as we know, weeks are years in hedgieland especially when losing fluids.

At this point, I'm wondering if it could be an autoimmune issue. Has anyone experienced this or even heard of such? I'm grasping at straws. Does anyone with more hedgehog experience than I do have another suggestion?

Aside from the diarrhea my girl is perfectly fine. She's eating, drinking, wheeling and expressing her different moods.
RPerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2020, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

I once had a 4.5 year old who had something similar. Loose watery, green stools, drop in appetite at first then increased appetite, weight loss.. those are the symptoms I remember (was back in 2014). Otherwise seemed fine. We ran fecal floats, etc and all tests always came back clear. We tried a few things. One that seemed to help some was doing an elimination diet. I found a food that was venison based and it seemed to help. She'd have days of normal looking stools then would have a nasty stool day. This little girl had almost no teeth too. She eventually just rapidly declined health wise. Her necropsy showed she was dealing with adrenal cancer. It may be something to ask your vet abou

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2020, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you so much for your response. I hate your girl had to go through that. I know it was hard watching her decline. I will definitely bring this up to my vet. I pray Poppy doesn't have cancer but I also want to do what's best for her if she does. I greatly appreciate your insight.
RPerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Hopefully its something else. You may want to explore dietary changes too. On idea that came to mind recently is to look into the food you are giving, did the formula change? I've seen some foods change the formula of their diets and hedgehogs would stop eating it or have a dietary upset from it. It may not be the cause, but I suppose its something else to think about when you are starting to run out of ideas of what else could be wrong.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
autoimmune, constant, diarrhea, green mucus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in