Hedgehog not eating, shaking - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2020, 12:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog not eating, shaking

So I haven't posted on this forum in several years, but today ran into something that's led me to reach out for help. My 5-year-old hedgehog Moki has not been eating for the past few days (I'm not certain if he's been drinking or not), at first I assumed it was just that I had gotten a new bag of food and something was off about it, but when I tried to give him mealworms he only ate 1-2 (normally he'll eat them until I stop giving them to him) Today I got together the stuff to force-feed him and make sure he stayed hydrated (chicken baby food and pedialyte), and noticed he was sitting still a lot and shaking. I'm getting him into the vet as soon as I can, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight into what this might be, or if there's anything else I can be doing for him right now. 😞

myky11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

The shakiness is a common symptom we see when they are weak. There are many reasons they can go off of their food, and something which your veterinarian will need to do.

To determine how dehydrated he is, pinch his skin on his back and watch to see how long it takes to return to normal. It should snap right back. If it doesn't he is dehydrated and you need to get that addressed as soon as possible. A sub-q of fluids from the vet is the best and quickest way to get rid of dehydration. Often that alone will be enough to get a veterinarian to get you in sooner. This alone could cause him to be very weak. I have had a hedgehog who had diarrhea (didn't tolerate a drug he was taking) who became unable to stand quickly and rebounded just as fast once we sub-qed him.

Otherwise, start syringe feeding. Your goal is to get about 24-30 cc in him a day. You may not get much into him at a time, especially at first if he isn't feeling well, and have to do it several times a day. Use 1 cc / hr as to how often. So if you get 2 cc in him now, you can go 2 hrs before the next feed. 4 cc, 4 hrs, etc.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the advice! I'll be sure to keep checking on him and giving him food/water, he'll be seeing the vet in a just a couple of hours.

myky11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Good luck! Quills crossed that its something that is quick to fix and he will be feeling better soon.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalandra View Post
The shakiness is a common symptom we see when they are weak. There are many reasons they can go off of their food, and something which your veterinarian will need to do.

To determine how dehydrated he is, pinch his skin on his back and watch to see how long it takes to return to normal. It should snap right back. If it doesn't he is dehydrated and you need to get that addressed as soon as possible. A sub-q of fluids from the vet is the best and quickest way to get rid of dehydration. Often that alone will be enough to get a veterinarian to get you in sooner. This alone could cause him to be very weak. I have had a hedgehog who had diarrhea (didn't tolerate a drug he was taking) who became unable to stand quickly and rebounded just as fast once we sub-qed him.

Otherwise, start syringe feeding. Your goal is to get about 24-30 cc in him a day. You may not get much into him at a time, especially at first if he isn't feeling well, and have to do it several times a day. Use 1 cc / hr as to how often. So if you get 2 cc in him now, you can go 2 hrs before the next feed. 4 cc, 4 hrs, etc.
nice advice

Last edited by barongan; 05-07-2020 at 03:12 PM.
barongan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in