paw biting and bleeding - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default paw biting and bleeding

so i have a 3 years old hedgie lucifer, and one day he injured his right front paw and couldn't walk properly. it was swollen too, i was giving him analgesic named metacam and antibiotics. when things started to get better, on one day i noticed that something is on his paw, but usually it's his poop, so i went to classes and after them took him out to clean him (i didn't have time to do it before, sadly) and saw his paw in blood. i rushed to the vet on the other day and they give him a shot of antibiotic in his paw, but sadly on that exact day he bit it even worse. i took him to other vet and they removed skin that was hanging there, gave us a cream to apply and said to clean every day with antiseptic. he also can't pee and poo properly, he can do nothing when i put him in his cage (he mostly is laying on me to minimize the pressure on his paw). the pellets and the wheel are removed due to the vet's advice and im helping him to walk because he struggles. today he bit him again and there was quite amount of blood, but i cleaned with antiseptic and put the cream, also i blocked his mouth from the paw. what should i do? will it heal up normally even if he bites it the third time again?
kettyboker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

It sounds like maybe he keeps biting his paw because he is in pain. . I think that if you blocked him from being able to bite it, it should clear up within a few weeks. Just give him time and patience. Good luck!
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky_Floof<3 View Post
It sounds like maybe he keeps biting his paw because he is in pain. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif[/IMG]. I think that if you blocked him from being able to bite it, it should clear up within a few weeks. Just give him time and patience. Good luck! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/icon1.gif[/IMG]
but can his constipation and not peeing be because of it? or because of antibiotics?
kettyboker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Some antibiotics can cause constipation because they mess with the natural bacteria of the colon. Ask your vet if there's an alternate treatment, but it may be even more stressful to change medicines in which case water, wet foods, stool softener if one exists, small pet enemas if one exists you'll have to ask what your options are. Same with the paw. There's no cone that will work but maybe there's a bitter spray that might, maybe a small temporary cast, your vet will have to tell you.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

As mentioned, please call your vet and discuss this questions with them. It's impossible for us to say if it's a side effect of the treatment or caused by something else.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in