Help please! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2019, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help please!

I’ve had Poki for a little shy of 3 years now. She’s about 3 herself. I went to give her some love in her cage today as I usually do. She was on her wheel and stopped. When I put my hand near her she was puffed up then she smelled me and calmed down as usual. She then bite my finger so hard that I had to pull my finger out of her mouth because she would not let go. It was dark in her room but I don’t think that’s a reason why she would do this since they have little eyesight and go off smell anyhow. She had already had dinner (chopped apples and a little ham) she doesn’t normally eat that but I wanted to give her a little treat. She seems to be kind of “coughing” not making any noise but her body will kinda jolt like it’s a cough. My husband says it looks like she’s just smelling but I have never seen her do that. There is not ANY reliable vets around here that have experience with hedgehogs. The last one I took her to was my last straw as they didn’t even know they took warm baths. Any suggestions on the sudden aggression? Thank you.
Pokipie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 12:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

She very well could have simply been caught off guard or startled by your hand movement. Though they don’t rely on sight for everything, they can still see what’s around them or coming at them. If she hadn’t gotten a chance to focus, your hand could have simply looked like something frightening coming at her. Is it possible you had on a lotion/hand sanitizer or handled food before this happened. She could have caught a whiff of something on your hand and went to explore?
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

While the biting may have been nothing, sudden aggression with biting can be a symptom of pain. I’m concerned about the cough you mentioned though. A sudden change in behavior (biting) and a cough that wasn’t there before warrants a veterinary visit.

I say this because what may seem minor may be something serious. Congestive heart failure can present itself as a cough (kinda looks like a dry hack or wheezing). Other changes to look for and to report to your veterinarian are reduction in activity levels (fatigue). Does she suddenly stop while running, maybe even lay down for a moment, seemingly to catch her breath? Any changes in breathing patterns outside of the cough? Does she cough when active, or does she also cough when asleep? These are some of the questions I’ve been asked, there are other symptoms that an internet search will yield for to look for in pets.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in