Darker looking urine - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ria

Yea I decided to be 100% sure I'll take samples to the vet and see if they can test the blood to be 100% sure its not diabetes.

Its just weird, given how the urine has never really changed. And how dark its getting when its changing seems mad in my head.
I know urine can change colour a bit. But it seems to be changing loads. Like they look totally different.
And if its never happened before why would it suddenly start now?
Plus the fact she's started to drink more water after the urine keep changing colour, seems like the two are linked!

But yea basically what the person said was pretty similar because of her weight and how her urine has never changed this much ever, and then since the urine changing she's been drinking more.
So really being 100% sure its jot diabetes. And hopefully with more tests from the vet on the urine we might find something. And if all comes saying theres nothing then It must be normal! And only suddenly became her new normal.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
Ria

She has now been to the vet.
She said that Holly definitely doesn't look illl and is acting fine.
The urine we had is like 3 days old as she was a pain and wouldnt do anything for us last night so she tested that and said there was a lot of protein - which she isnt sure if that's normal or not, and it came back saying there was a small amount of Bilirubin which she knows in dogs is normal but cats its not, and she isnt 100% sure and when she tried calling the person she knew would know they didnt answer.
Everything was all negative. And definitely no blood
The strips she has are the same ones I got for testing the urine myself!

So what she has done is given us some pots to put some fresh urine in tonight, then drop them back tomorrow morning and she'll send them to the lab to get more tests and they will know 100% what is normal and what isnt.

She said it does seem a bit weird to be just normal pigment change when her whole life it has never really changed.
She said it could be to do with weight but Holly is healthy again, she weighed her today and she is 600g, can full ball (which she kindly proved to the vet!) And theres mo excess fat. So she's agreed its not weight! And her diet is good so doesn't believe its diet related.
I know I changed her food a while back when I put her on the diet to loose weight but she said if it was to do with that then it would have started back then.
She said as there is no glucose in the urine she isnt sure about it being diabetes, but didn't take any blood to be 100% sure as apparently it always shows at least a little in urine.

So yea that's her update.
She actually did pretty well at the vet, wasnt too stressed - though I had treats I gave her before and after!
Old 11-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ria

Okay so we got a fresh sample for the vet, put it into the two tubs she asked with the amounts she wanted in each. And then still had a little to test on the strips I have (which are the exact same as hers)
Anyway when we tested it said everything is negative, the specific gravity came out at 1.010 and the pH came out at 6.0

So I think the protein and bilirubin that showed up was because it was 3 days old.

We'll see what the lab comes back saying. And see if anything is picked up. Otherwise It must just be normal. But I still find it a bit odd that its just suddenly started with no change, when its never changed before.

Old 11-25-2019, 02:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ria

For anyone who is interested/wants to know

I got a call from the vet this morning with the results from the lab test on Holly's urine

It came back with no found bacteria which is really great. Most things came back as negative and there is 100% no blood cells in the urine which is brilliant.
However there is protein I don't know how much as the vet wouldn't say, but the lab have said they THINK its normal, I've trier searching up on it because the fact they aren't sure and only think makes me a little unsure haha.
They also picked up crystals in her urine, the vet said this can be a sign of cystitis but normally there is blood along with it. I need to do more searching on this as the vet didnt seem to want to talk much about it, and told me its probably nothing. But to be honest I dont think crystals in urine should be ignored? So going to look up on it myself as I dont know a whole lot about it.
She then said that overall theres nothing flagged up as concern and to just keep an eye on her.

On the phone she also admitted the lab dont really know that much, even though the vet told us they will know loads more.

My mum is going to see if they will give us a print out copy of the results so we can look at it ourself and see how much they say of protein and crystals there are because when I asked about how much she didnt want to give a answer. The only reason my mum is doing this is because I wont get the time.

So I'm going to do some research on crystals in urine. As I do not believe from the small amount I do know, that its something that should just be completely ignored. Maybe its that she just doesn't know?
If anyone knows any sites that will help with this I would appreciate it, but its fine if no one knows anything!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in