What happened? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What happened?

I recently had to put my hedgehog down, but I am just still so confused on what happened and I am hoping someone could help shed some light.

I took my little girl out one night and she was moving around in her playpen. She then spent the next day not wanting to unball, even after my attempts of warming her up. I don’t think she got cold enough to hibernate. I found her in her litter box that night trying to poop, but it was stuck to her because she wouldn’t unball for me.

A day later I then noticed that she had balancing issues, and would not use her back legs and would fall over. She was very unsteady and would not eat, drink, poop, or urinate. Upon xrays at the vet, an injury was ruled out. She was out on an anti inflammatory and perked up. She still would not balance or use her back legs and would fall over to her sides. I was able to hand feed her. I took her back to the vet a few days later for more medicine. He took a look at her tounge and noticed she was biting and self mutilating, which he suspected was injured from her falling over.

The next day, her tounge was three times the size, she was foaming at the mouth, wouldn’t ball up or move. She would just lay on her cage and in my arms. I knew by looking into her eyes that she was suffering and was ready to go. She was in such bad shape. All of this took place over a week. The vet suspected a neurological issue such as a stroke or seizure. It pains me to not have any idea what happened, so I am wondering if anyone had ideas? Thanks.
Melanie77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

I want to add that bloodwork was going to be the next step to look at parasites or infection but she went downhill so quick that we just didn’t have time and didn’t want her to suffer any longer.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Probably WHS or something similar...
y2jdmbfan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 05:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post
Probably WHS or something similar...
Theres no way it was whs. It doesn't sound right. I have no idea what it it but I do not believe it would have been whs from what has been described.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

With the onset being so quick, the vet did not suspect it to be WHS but couldn’t rule it out either.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't know what happened to your baby. But I want you to know you're not alone. I never lost anyone in a week, but my baby HeijiSan died suddenly and my baby King Robert slowly deteriorated over several months from being old. There is no good speed and it hurts so much when it happens. They're so precious and we wish they could stay with us forever. I miss my little piggies every day. (/_ ; )

Give her a good cry. Make sure she knows the sound of you never forgetting her.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have no idea what happened. But I want you to know that I am so sorry. It is very hard to put a hedgie down. You did the right thing, you are a very responsible owner to be able to do that. Maybe some kind of infection? Or maybe internal problems? If you are really curious you could maybe do some research and go back to your vet for questions? I am so so so so sorry. You are in my thoughts.
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in