Preventative Spaying for female hedgehog? - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Emc
Member
 
Emc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Posts: 478
Default

So, update I never wanted to give. Today is Coco’s 2nd birthday. I also noticed a tiny raised bump on the opposite side to where she had her previous mammary tumour removed 6 months ago.

My heart is absolutely shattered, because I just know it’s back. Will be going to the vet to discuss what our next course of action will be. 😞
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ria
Member
 
Ria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: London-Surrey, UK
Posts: 1,950
Default

Thats not great at all!
I hope you can do something about it, to get a good outcome!
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2020, 10:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,566
Default

Good luck and keep us updated on what the vet wants to do. It certainly does feel like a kick to the stomach when you find something again. You already know this, but you have to just recover from that feeling, take action and deal with whatever the vet finds.

It really sucks that these little ones are so prone to tumors, whether benign or cancerous. Hopefully whatever you found is easy to resolve. And hopefully its a benign issue and not related to the cancer that was removed previously. It can happen.
__________________

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Emc
Member
 
Emc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Posts: 478
Default

So, talked to the vet; I've decided to go ahead and remove it. If it comes back again, I think we are just going to have to accept our fate - while I would give all the money i had for her to live forever, putting her through surgery after surgery just wouldnt be fair. didn't opt for pathology as we both figured there was really no huge benefit: it feels the exact same as last time, just on the opposite side - so we are just assuming that there is a high likelihood that we are dealing with the same cancer.

I've decided to go ahead with it because although there is no guarantee her surgery will be the same as last, she did bounce quick very quickly after her last surgery (within 48 hours she acted like nothing had ever happened). And even if we only get 4-6 months again this time, I know that it will be quality time that she can have and at least we gave her that chance.

I am praying that it stays away for good this time. we are giving her a fighting chance, and there's nothing more we can do than that. she has her surgery next thursday; praying it is as easy on her as a surgery can possibly be. she's still her usual Coco self. running around, playing, eating, and hasnt lost any weight or showing any indications that's something up, so she's got everything going for her right now - hopefully everything goes well.

i just wish they werent so deathly prone to such a deadly disease.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2020, 10:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,566
Default

Hoping for the best results today.
__________________

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2020, 08:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Emc
Member
 
Emc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Posts: 478
Default

Co had her surgery, everything went great, and she's been eating & taking her meds like a champ since she came home. Hoping this stupid thing stays away for good this time. I'm so thankful that she seems to have a fairly easy recovery every time.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Emc
Member
 
Emc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Posts: 478
Default

Hello again; yet again giving an update I wish I did not need to.

I found another lump on Coco tonight. Very small, about the size of a pea - a little above her left leg. It feels firm, but 'squishier' than her last two.

I said last time that if it came back again, we would accept our fate. but I'm so torn. She recovers so quickly (within 24 hours, she is back to acting like nothing ever happened), but of course, the surgery risk is still there - and there's no guarantee it will be smooth sailing like last time.

I think it was easier for me to make the decision last time as I believed we would have at least another 6 months before we would have to cross this hurdle again. But it's been 3 months. It's just getting shorter every time. if it came back again in 3 months, I don't know what I would do.

Coco is 27 months old, and is otherwise fit & healthy as can be. No weight loss, no appetite change. My hesitancy isn't over a money issue; I would sell everything if I needed to. It's over wanting to make a choice in her best interest. I would greatly appreciate any input of anyone who has been in a similar situation; on one side, I would feel incredibly guilty putting her under a surgery again only for this to come back in 1-3 months. On the other, I feel as if she deserves every chance in the world - and why not try just one more time?

Man, I so wish these guys weren't so deathly prone to cancer.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2020, 10:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 128
Default

I hope she's ok. At least she doesn't suffer while you make your decision. Watching them degrade is always the worst feeling. Unfortunately I've never had a hog where their terminal diagnosis had an option for treatment so I've never dealt with how much pain it is to prolong their life. All I can do is tell you I see you and I see you struggle for whatever good that's worth. ��
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum