bruised leg & blood - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2019, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default bruised leg & blood

hello everyone!
i am hoping someone can help me out with this...
our hedgie evie is a little over 5 months old, she is very active and loves running in her wheel all night. she is eating and drinking normally.
tonight I noticed what looks like a bruise on one of her back legs and she has a red spot on her belly that looked as if it had been bloody earlier (see picture below). at first I thought it might be a cut but couldn’t see anything on or around the red area.
over the past couple of nights I have noticed her loosing quite a large amount of quills (I find around 10 in her cage and 10 more after I have her out for playtime). i assumed she might be quilling again but now I’m not sure if something is actually wrong with her 😞
she doesn’t seem to be in pain and she was running in her wheel before I took her out. does anyone know what the bruise might be and if it requires vet attention? 😕
thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EE252E5A-C45C-45FC-842C-C3D70F4420D2_1569717071623.jpg (208.0 KB, 24 views)
corinamarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2019, 05:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Did you check its not just muck? Like wiped it with a damp cloth or baby wipe?
See how it is later today and if it looks worse then call your vet Monday and get an appointment some time soon preferably, and get them to check it, if it looks better then it will likely be fine and go down on its own but keep checking it daily untill that happens.
I may be a little blind but I can't see the red spot, so check that too and check for any sign of blood in the enclosure. If there is then go to the vet as soon as possible call it an emergency.

The quills could very well be quilling and its not likely to be (It might be, but not likely to be) related to this at all. But if you do see a vet you can ask them to be sure.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2019, 06:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi!
Thanks for the reply.
I did wipe it down and took the photo afterwards. The spot on her belly looks like it’s inflamed but maybe it’s just me being paranoid! I’ll keep a close eye on her, give her a footbath tonight and check her legs again. She was running a lot last night after I posted this so I’m hoping it’s nothing too serious 🙂 Thank you!

Old 09-29-2019, 07:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

Draw a circle on spot it could just be the way it is on the picture that I'm missing it.
If I you draw the circle on it I'll likely see it and be able to give better advise on that side.
But the Bruise doesn't look very serious just keep a close an eye on it, making sure it goes down and not getting worse like you would if you had a bruise.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

I’m glad to hear the bruise doesn’t look too serious! I wasn’t sure if this was something that happens to other hedgehogs, guess I’m just way too worried about everything haha!
Here’s the picture with a circle around the darker bit. The other side of her lower belly is a lot lighter in colour that’s why I was alarmed when I saw it was a bit red...
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46C13EB4-7F3B-4C6F-8744-98366A399D92_1569759729283.jpg (183.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

I'm not sure what it could be, someone else may know and say latter, bruises aren't common but she could have it it doesnt look too bad.

Keep and eye on both, the bruise that it goes down and that the redness goes, if the redness hasnt gone by Monday evening or its got worse then go to a vet as soon as possible. Same with the bruise, if it gets worse go to a vet.

They look like they will both go down but I'm no vet or expect! So keep a close eye if anything else changes like less active ect get to a vet.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Couple of thoughts, does she climb her cage or anything in it? And what is her wheeling habits? What kind of wheel does she have?

We have seen bruises with climbers, and occasionally one might slip on a wheel. Its quite possible if they slip a back leg over the edge causing a bruise and a scrape on inner inner leg.

You may consider a veterinary visit to insure that there isn't any additional damage that you cannot detect. Examine her legs closely, can you detect any swelling at all? It can be hard to see if its slight with the loose skin they have.

Removal of her wheel for a night or two may be a good idea. I say may as it will depend a lot on her personality and how she will react, it could cause actually more harm.

Keep in mind that hedgehogs are very very good at hiding illness and injury. They will attempt to behave completely normal until they simply cannot.
nikki likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2019, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

She has a bucket wheel in her cage and a silent spinner in her playpen but she doesn’t like the bucket wheel very much so usually I give her the silent spinner for the time I’m around so I can observe her since I know that silent spinners aren’t the best quality and can easily fall over... She gets up in the evening, has food and goes straight onto her wheel (sometimes for hours) and she’ll come back out of it for food and water and to run around her cage for a bit. But she definitely spends most of the night in her wheel.
Two nights ago I put in a new plastic hut so it is highly possible she tried to climb it and hurt her leg. I took it out last night and won’t put it back in since it’s the only thing that has changed in her cage recently.
I will definitely check if there is any swelling later on tonight, but I’m pretty sure there wasn’t any yesterday (it is hard to tell though because I can’t ever get her to sit still even with treats...) It was just very red and what looked like inflamed skin in addition to the bruise. So maybe she slipped off the hut, hurt her leg and scraped her belly on the way down... I will keep a close eye on her and if it’s still the same tomorrow I’ll take her to the vet. I really hope it’s nothing serious!
Old 10-05-2019, 08:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

How is the legging looking?

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in