Wobbly Hedgehog - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2019, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wobbly Hedgehog

I need advice...
Starting a couple of weeks ago I noticed my hedgehog when she would stand up straight and sniff up at me she would kind of away from one side to the other.. she was also only barely running but mostly walking on her wheel.
Starting last week I noticed she was kind of dragging her back legs... she was taking steps but not really putting effort into lifting her back end off of the ground. She also was only walking in her wheel not running at all.
Starting on Saturday the 31st I noticed more of this but she was pooping, eating, and behaving normally. She was falling over though... like to one side.
On Sunday she had not touched her food at all the night before, but she was up and walking on her wheel and drinking water.
On Monday she didn’t react to me opening her cage and picking up her castle like she normally does and she was delayed on her reactions. She did not really touch her wheel much.
Today, she is falling to one side when I set her down to walk.. she is mostly just laying there. She has not eaten but MAYBE a couple of pebbles of food the pst few days. And no signs of normal poops. She likes to lick my hands occasionally (my hands are always clean when I let her do this) and exfoliate or whatever. Today she did but she didn’t even stick her long tongue out at all so the foam just stuck around her mouth...
She has a heat lamp and the air usually changes between 74-78 degrees. This is something that has rung true for her since I got her and it has never been an issue.
Changes over the past few days to note:
Clean wheel and clean new fluff as of Saturday
We moved to a new apartment on Saturday. There were a couple of things that may have exposed her to an upper respiratory infection such as possible kicked up dust or a change in air flow, however she is showing no signs of respiratory infection and I was careful with her.
She is not reacting to hands being in front of her, almost like she is blind but there is no fogging in her eyes. She will blink if you gently blow on her. She is breathing normal, no wheezing. Her nose is shiny like it is slightly damp. Her nails are clipped and she doesn’t mind me touching her limbs.
When I flip her on her back she normally wiggles around and such but I tried today and her head sorta fell back before she kind of reacted but she isn’t flailing or going into a ball...
What could be wrong? WHS doesn’t seem likely as she is 3 going on 4.
Cassiebear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 03:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Could just old age. Or something else
You could try massaging the leg/foot daily to see if that helps even a little. It will also be worth going to a vet to get her checked over.
If she isnt eating you might need to syringe feed her.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

She needs to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. There is no way for us to diagnose her. From the sounds of the symptoms you describe could be a variety of things and it seems to be progressing quickly. Hedgehogs when they get sick, get weak. When they are weak they can start to wobbly and fall, and will stop eating making it worse.

If she isn't eating and drinking enough, you need to syringe feed and provide water to her until you get her into a veterinarian.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not a good sign. Please update after visiting a veterinary
Nushka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 01:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

After a visit to the vet, they stated she likely has an infection of some sort in her brain or possibly a tumor since she is old. At this point I’m torn. Her condition has not worsened but also has not gotten better... I used the syringes the vet gave me to get some water in her and she immediately threw it up. I think she kept some of it in but barely. We will just have to keep watching her...
Cassiebear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in