Sick Hedgehog; started with bleeding - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2019, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Hedgemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 32
Unhappy Sick Hedgehog; started with bleeding

Hello!
This is a long post, so please bare with me, but I really could use some insight as to what is happening. Thank you!
I've had my lil Hedgemon for a year and a half now (she's about 2). She has never had any health issues since I have had her until recently.
A couple days ago, while cleaning her cage, I noticed A LOT of blood in her bedding where she sleeps (which was odd because, well, BLOOD, and because she never ever relieves herself where she sleeps). I also found a couple blood spots on my carpet where I let her run. I look at her belly, and sure enough, there is blood around her vulva..
Next morning (this last Tuesday), I take her to the vet first thing. I told the vet that she is acting perfectly normal otherwise- regular bowl movements, normal poopies, eating, drinking, etc. He felt around and did not suspect any tumors, but likely a UTI. So he prescribed liquid antibiotics to give her twice a day.
First night I gave her the meds, and she was acting perfectly fine. Then, I feel her go really limp... I put her on the ground and she collapsed almost immediately. After holding her a while, I put her back in her cage and checked on her in the morning. She had a bit more energy then, but was still very slow walking, and bleeding some. That night, same thing; she had more energy now and could walk more, but still not normal.
I noticed she had not gone to the bathroom at all since giving her the antibiotics, and she stopped eating. She still drinks some. The most 'poop' I saw was some black-green slime... It honestly looks like she is real slow walking because she is constipated and can't go (she'll stop and take a squat, but nothing happens..). This morning was the same result. I have not seen any more blood, however.
Anyways, I do not know what to make of this now... I'm not sure if the antibiotics are causing these problems, or if this is another serious symptom of something else. Again, the bleeding seemed to stop, so the meds are doing something. I am taking her to the vet again first thing tomorrow morning. Until then, I would like to keep her on the antibiotics, let her get the rest she needs an monitor her progress, if any..
Please let me know your thoughts on this situation, and if really I should take more immediate action (i.e. today).
Thank you so so much!
Hedgemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,464
Default

You are doing what needs to be done... get her back to a veterinarian as soon as possible.

So a few thoughts:

Whenever you see additional changes that are concerning, call your veterinarian's office and let them know what is happening. They will let you know if they think if the medication is an issue, or the additional symptoms may completely change their original diagnosis. Hedgehogs are amazing at hiding illness. Often by the time they show symptoms at all they are seriously sick. With a very ill hedgehog, you often have to work closely with your veterinarian to keep them updated on additional symptoms as the hedgehog starts to show them.

Another possibility, and something that we commonly see, is that you aren't dealing with a UTI though. Talk to your doctor about uterine issues. A tumor or raging infection in the uterus may not present itself until the animal is very sick.
__________________

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Hedgemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 32
Default

Okay. So I did call the vet office today and am awaiting a callback from the veterinarian who saw her to discuss this further. He prescribed the antibiotics first to see if it was a UTI, and if those didn't show improvements after ~48 hours, uterine was going to be his next go-to.
I will update after have the conversation.
Thank you for your reply!
Hedgemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Hedgemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 32
Default

Soo did not get a reply back from the vet today (despite calling three separate times) and apparently they do not have any available appointments until Monday... I read that pumpkin and warm water baths help with constipation, so I will try that tonight for now, even though I don't really know what the underlying issue to it is.. She just really needs to eat something, and the only way I can think is with a syringe and force feed her. I will call them again first thing tomorrow.
Hedgemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Hedgemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 32
Default

Okay so update: Vet called me back! Apparently thr phones were down because of the storm...
So he does believe the antibiotics could be causing the loss of appetite and constipation. I'm taking her off of them for 24-48 hours.
They should not be causing her weakness though, so that is his new concern. He thinks the antibiotics could have overstressed something in her system thr was already not well.
I'll give her the pumpkin tonight and try to feed her some, then let her exercise a bit. Then tomorrow we'll see how she is.
The vet does want to prioritize an ultrasound now. So yea, that is the current situation
Hedgemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Hedgemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 32
Default

Hello again! (Not sure if anyone is reading these, but it helps me just to post updates anyways..).
Since yesterday, I stopped giving her the antibiotics per the vet's request to do so. This is to see if they is causing her lack of appetite, constipation and weakness.

As of last night, she has been moving much better; she's scampering around almost like her usual self again. I fed her two live earth worms which she immediately devoured. This was great, since she has not been eating at all lately. She also started eating some of her other food again (not much, but some) which is also good to see.

She is still not pooping, however, and I have noticed a drop of blood in her urine still (although this is better than the pool I found when the issue was first noticed).
I tried giving her pumpkin to help with the constipation but she HATES it. Tonight I am going to try and give her a warm bath.

I tried calling the vet again per his request, but he apparently will not be at his office again until Monday... We were supposed to discuss whether or not to put her back on the antibiotics. I do not know if this is what I should do or not...

My plan is to let her out tonight and try to feed her another earth worm (maybe put some pumpkin on it), give her a warm bath, and let her out to exercise and drink for a few hours. Hopefully she will poop. Seeing how she does, I will have to decide if she should have the antibiotics again. I don't want to give them to her if they are making her sick, but at the same time, I don't want her infection (if that's what it is) to develop immunity to them by keeping her off.

Does anybody have thoughts or words of wisdom as to what the best for me to do is?

Thank you!
Hedgemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 48
Default

I'm reading, just to give you some assurance.
Sadly though, I have no experience or knowledge about this situation. All I can do is pray and hope someone with more knowledge answers to help. I'm hoping your hog improves, please keep us up to date.
Do you have any other vets you can call and just talk about the problem? Maybe they'll be able to put more insight into the situation if you ever doubt your current vet.
I really hope your Hedgemon gets better! Keep us updated!
Brooke@Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Hedgemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 32
Default

Thank you so much; I truly do appreciate your reply and your thoughts for her!

Sadly, there are only two exotic vets in the area that I know of and neither of them work on weekends... The other one I talked to immediately wanted to jump to an ultrasound and possible surgery, but I just don't think that is the right direction yet.

I will absolutely keep you posted with how she is doing! Right now shes snoozing away, but tonight we shall see how she is.
Thank you again!!
Hedgemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 48
Default

Yeah, I think you made the right choice there. Surgery is very dangerous on such a small animal.
I wish you both the best! <3
Brooke@Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ria
Member
 
Ria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: London-Surrey, UK
Posts: 1,658
Default

I dont have the most amount of experience but butternut squash can have the same effect as pumpkin but may need a slightly higher amount than the pumpkin! You can give it a try anyway!

So the vet said 24-48 hours, and its been 48 hours since having them.
Did the vet say to talk to him before putting her back on them or to just put him back on them?
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
bleeding, constipation, uti

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:57 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum