IVERMECTIN/IVOMEC really scared - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default IVERMECTIN/IVOMEC really scared

Today I took my little boy to the vet for some dry skin issues and abnormal quill loss. The vet did a skin scraping and he couldn't find any mites or parasites, and said it didn't look like a bacterial infection. HOWEVER, he decided to inject him in his back with ivomec and said it would kill any internal parasites (if any). He said to make a follow up appointment in 2 weeks for a second shot, which i did.

Once I got home I looked up the shot and did not realize that ivomec is the same as ivermectin!!! I didn't think to ask for revolution instead because the test came back negative for mites.

I am so upset and scared for my little boy, he is very slim and only weighs about 300 grams, so I'm scared that he was given too much and that he will really suffer (i read that it has to be diluted for anything weighing under 500 grams and I don't know if it was). A professional would know to dilute it I'm sure but even though this vet has experience in hedgehogs I really don't trust him after this. I feel so stupid and I'm not sure what to do. I'm for sure not going back and getting that second shot.

please help I'm really scared.
duckie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Keep an eye on your hog check everything stays normal if anything changes for the worst I would go back to that vet and tell them and then get your hog seen by another vet if you have one near you.
He may be fine, but just monitor him closely, food and water intake, activity levels, behaviour in general.

For future reference to help dry skin get some flaxseed oil capsules and put one whole capsule on the food once or twice a week.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

thank you for your reply. yes, the vet also said to put a small amount of omega 3 fish oil into his kibble for his skin, I think I will use flax seed oil for omega 3 like you suggest though, I've heard that fish oil can make their poop smell really bad.
duckie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

While ivermectin can be risky for hogs because of the potency, many have been given ivermectin with normal outcomes. Like Ria said, and as you should in any abnormal scenario, monitor him closely to watch for any behavioral and physical abnormalities.
With that being said, specialized exotic vets are few and far between, even in large cities. There is no need to distrust a vet just because of this course of treatment. He is a professional, after all!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2019, 12:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

Well there is fish oil in one or two of Holly's cat foods and poo doesn't smell too bad its right near the end in the last 3 ingredients and I think its in the food that makes up the least part of the diet.
But I would stick to flaxseed oil because its known to not cause any stinky poo.

I'm not suggestions seeing another vet if anything becomes abnormal isnt because you should distrust this vet, in fact I would go back to the same vet to see if they had diluted it and hadn't given too much to the hog, but if there is another vet around I would go there, just to see if they think it was the invermectin or something else that just happened to play up at the time. Vet can be like doctors and don't always like admitting that something they did could cause this effect no matter how good they are.

I would also in future ask more about injections and medication that you don't know before the vet gives it to your hedgehog.
Its not something people think to do, but generally I would, just incase anything else clashes with known medications that arent good for hogs.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in