Lulu - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ok wait, I've got a question. How close can hedgehogs get before its too close for comfort? Like when a female ovulates?

Can I put Igor at the top side of my bed, and Lulu on the foot side? While I clean their cages? I don't have anywhere else to put them.
Brooke Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ria

Its fine as long as they she doesn't smell him and get to him I believe. Maybe get an empty cardboard box and put lulu in that on the other side of the room so that your sure nothing will happen.
Then igor can stay on your bed like normal.

I'm glad your cousin seems to be half listening, maybe pick a day and get her to go to the pet shop for the che, the sooner the better.
The vet offer to help her make the appointment. Because again the sooner you can get her to the vet the better.

You could also just remind her before she goes to bed to clean and make sure theres fresh water and food just like casually ask her if shes done it then check once shes gone to bed just incase she still hasnt.
Sorta thing her parents really need to do to help her.

I mean I get they want to teach her responsibility, but I the way they are trying I dont see fair to the animals.

At 16 your doing really well for helping Lulu its great. I don't know many 16 year olds who would have even noticed.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks! I did it!
I cleaned Lulu's cage, hand picked up the poo and washed her bowls. Her food bowl was empty, which is good, since I gave her some of my Montego and Royal Canin along with her original. So she doesn't have a problem eating it.

I'm weighing her again tomorrow to see if she gained a little weight. But, my mom said Lulu needs to go to my cousin's father. She sees that the way she treats Lulu angers me, and she says its not my responsibility to take care of her.

But for now, I cleaned everything, gave her 250 pieces of kibble, 150 more than last night.

Call me delusional, but I swear she said thanks.
She crawled under her blanky, and stuck her nose out, looking at me. Like directly at me, sniffing the air. I swear that was a thanks. Then she went to her food. Poor girl didn't even go for the worms first like Igor, she was just hungry. Who knows how long her bowl has been empty.

Clean water. Heat. Everything's good. (While my cousin's sleeping away) but hey! I have two happy hogs in my home! Can't complain then!

I'll try to remind her.
I clean Igor's cage at night, so I told her to go clean Lulu's, and she said, I'll do it tomorrow morning. Its tomorrow morning, and, uh, nothing happened? Sooo... Yeahhh.

I told her that she needs a skinscrape done, and she said this, which shocked me
"A while back when I told my mom about the CHE setup I need to get for Lulu, she said she'd rather let her die and buy me another one, its cheaper..."

I asked if it was a joke... She said she isn't sure... My heart really hurts.

Last edited by Brooke Lancelot; 06-20-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ria

Its not your responsibility but its still good your taking care of Lulu, and at this rate you may be saving her. Your doing good.

And Lulu is probably thanking you, in her own way, its when she bonds to you now and then plays up for your cousin that will be pretty funny, you really get Lulu then then. Hedgehogs like dogs are really good at sensing when someone is helping them, and when someone isnt.

Its also great that she eats the better food fine too, and she seems to be doing good. Let us know about the weight.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ok I couldn't weigh lulu tonight since my cousin's parents came to take her to spend the weekend at their place and took lulu along. Apparently my cousin didn't allow her dad to take Lulu, so she's still here for the vacation. Just not the weekends.

But, something interesting happened. Lulu didn't eat her worms, so I told my cousin to hand feed her it. She tried and her step mom tried. She came back and told me lulu refused the worm.

I went and held the worm, and she gobbled it right up. She even ate the other 2 from my hand aswell. Happy chappy.

My cousin isn't too pleased
Old 06-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ria

It sounds like Lulu is bonding to you more than your cousin. Try if you hand feed one then she hand feeds one, see if that works. After the weekend obviously.

It does sound like your cousin is trying a bit more which is a good start !! And I'm sure that with the right support from an adult all the time reminding her about doing things she will get there, I'd keep trying to work with her while she is with you !!

I would tell your cousin to put something like an old sock turned into a ball or a top that smells like her into the cage with Lulu, just to try to help Lulu bond a bit more with your cousin and maybe do the same with her step mum.

By looking at Lulu does she seem to have started putting on a bit of weight ?? Or is still really hard to tell ??
Old 06-21-2019, 12:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Another good thing! She absolutely loved the Flaxseed Oil! Ate all her kibble when it was topped with it.

I told her about the shirt and she said she'll try, but I haven't seen her trying yet. So I'll try to remind her again

Its hard to tell from just looking at her, but she does feel a little heavier than the first time I picked her up. When I picked her up the first time, it was like picking up air, she had no weight mass. Now she has a tiny bit more, to the point where I can feel, ok, I have something in my hand.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ria

Sounds like she is putting on weight, I think with the right help and support your cousin would be a good owner for Lulu, but she doesn't seem to have that..
Old 06-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'll try to help her and support here wherever I can. I'll even WhatsApp her when she's back home. Remind her to clean the cage and check up on Lulu
Old 06-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ria

Yea but it can be really hard for you, I think her parents should be ones that remind her and make sure she does it, Maybe you could to talk to them or get your mum to talk to them to see if they will ??
Obviously you helping her is a great but its a lot of pressure on you having to remember to message every day to make sure she has it done. That's why I think someone that's around her all the time would be better.

Keep working with her, but just see if theres someone else whos around her all the time like her mum who can help her all the time when your not there.

I think she does really care for Lulu and It looks like she is listening now, maybe its something to do with seeing how well Igor is doing compared to Lulu ??
Its just getting into the routine she seems to be struggling most with, remembering to things for Lulu all the time.

She does know she can hand pick the poo out the cage while wearing gloves or using paper towels or baby wipes, she doesn't have to actually touch it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in