Very lazy hedgehog, constantly gaining weight - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think you should now focus on how to treat it well and improve its immunity. After removing the uterus, it is easy to get fat. This is a very common phenomenon that can also be seen in other pets. Illness and old age cause its metabolism to slow down, which is also why it's getting fat. Once it's healthy, you can help it lose weight by changing its diet and increasing its activity level. But now, you need to talk to the vet and get it cured as soon as possible.This is my personal opinion for your reference.
e006073 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
I'm not saying to put her on diet maybe I was a bit unclear, I think that it needs to be stabilised a bit so that the weight gain doesn't get too high, because with being ill her immune system isnt going to be too strong, so tryingto bring it down wouldn't be a good idea at this point, but I dont think letting it get much higher would be very good, so really you need to balance it now to keep stable at what she is now so that when she's better loosing the weight wont be as hard. If that makes sense ??
I'm not brilliant with wording stuff so it came across as saying to loose weight now sorry.

4 is generally the main age for senior age and slowing down but I think that because of the illnesses and medication its made her slow down a bit sooner.
I see what you mean. Maybe we can try to adjust its diet properly under the premise of meeting its daily nutritional needs. Try not to gain weight so fast.
e006073 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

thanks again to both of you, yes, i agree, kinda hard to do that since i'm feeding chicken now... i am kind of eye balling the quantity of meat to be as much as about 15 kibble of the dry food. that's the reason for the carrot at night to make sure she is full and does not starve. but since she gained weight fast i would say over 3 months, i was getting worried. i will be focusing on keeping her strong and able to fight off an infection, but at the same time, don't want to fatten her up another 30g in the process. if this makes any sense
misha0209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 02:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ria

You could weigh 15 kibble pieces and then weigh the chicken to the same amount.
You could use parsnips and broccoli with the carrots and chicken, these are low in calories but all are high in antioxidants that will help her immune system, broccoli is high calcium too, and all are great for vitamins. The thing that we need to be carful of is not giving too much vegetables as they dont digest large amount of plant matter well so maybe do a little bit of each different veg a night, and perhaps 4-5 bits of biscuit, just to make sure the nutrients are all there, but without having such hight amount of the carbohydrates. And the chicken with the antibiotic, that makes up the 10 bits of biscuit.

Does this make sense ??
Its just an idea of course and can be worked on.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

i never tried broccoli. don't know if she will eat it. i will boil it a bit and try it. will also give the food weighing a go. i'll see if the scale is that sensitive.what is a regular portion in grams?
Old 05-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

btw this is her, does she look fat? also if you zoom in on the paw the 2 black spots i was talking about are visible
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190524_202501_1558724808047.jpg (197.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-24-2019, 05:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ria

Worth a try worse she does is turn her nose up at !! Holly Lovessss broccoli.
To be honest from that picture she doesnt look fat. Look from above if shes a tear drop shape then she's the perfect shape, also if she can full ball up with no gape so you cant really tell her head from her bum, then she's fine, I still wouldnt let the weight go up more though.

To be honest a portion in grams depends on the hog. Holly gets 12g biscuit of which she eats 6-8g
Most people give anything from 10-15g of biscuit depending on the type of hog and what they eat.

Last edited by Ria; 05-24-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 07:11 AM   #18 (permalink)

checking back in with updates.
we've finished the antibiotic cure a few days ago. will be visiting the vet for a check up this saturday.
behavior... unchanged, the little pimples are still around though..
as for her weight, we switched back to biscuit, am now feeding a blend of hill's prescription diet r/d and metabolic. also will have W/D coming in soon. all of them are recommended for weight loss. will see where we go from here.
she did not gain weight, in fact she dropped a bit, at 518 grams last night, although i think it's due to switch from we to dry food. although, the first 2 days when we did the switch she was drinking water like crazy.
activity levels still the same. 2 nights ago she was quite active, doing laps around her room. she would do a lap, sit down a bit, then do another one.
yesterday night for example, was next to no activity. we took a bath, and she just stayed in her towel until she was dry, then did a lap, and started to fall asleep in a corner, so i put her back in her cage. she ate, and then sleep. got up at 3 am to eat (5mins), then again at 6 am to drink.
will see what happens today.
summer started strong over here, temps are over 30C. i do have an aircon in her room, it's on thermostat switch, but it is mostly on since 9 am to 9 pm. keeps the temp at 26C tops.
also, happy to say she seems to love broccoli. she has been eating it instead of her carrots, and those have been absolute favorites.
if anybody has any idea how i can get her to be more active, please share.
was thinking about building her a small maze, but i think she'll just... sit in it...

Tags
lethargic, overweight, sleepy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in