Thirsty Heggie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2019, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thirsty Heggie

Hey guys!

My heggie has been super thirsty and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and if I could get some advice on how to best treat him.

Quick backstory: I noticed that he was drinking a lot of water for about a week, so I made an appointment with the vet. However, his drinking went back to normal a few days before the appointment, so the vet said he was fine. Flash forward a couple of weeks and it happens again. I take him back and he tests positive for a UTI, so he gets antibiotics. The drinking continues, so I take him back, and he gets a diabetes test and a kidney ultrasound (they tried to do a blood test but they couldn't get enough blood for one), and everything came back normal. The vet said he otherwise looked and behaved healthily, so maybe just try changing his diet. I put him on a special medicated pellet food, which helped a little, but he's still going through a 12 oz water bottle every 2-3 days and waking up to drink during the day. It seems to be slowly but surely getting worse

So here's the big question: my vet said doing a blood test would be more risk than its worth because he's otherwise healthy. However, I'm considering getting it done anyway because he doesn't seem to be getting better. I'm really not sure what the best thing to do is. Any feedback would be helpful!
isabel_heggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 02:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

From what you said, it sounds like your using a water bottle for him to drink from correct ??

If this is the case swap it to a dish asap. I think the problem here if is he getting water from the bottle is that he's struggling to get it out, so then when he is he's drinking loads to help himself.
Water bottles for hedgehogs aren't good, if they bite the metal drinking nozzle it will hurt their teeth, and its far from a natural way for them to drink meaning they struggle to get any water which is why people who have them on water bottles always have a issue about them drinking.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2019, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

That might be worth a shot, ill try putting out a bowl. He's been drinking from a bottle without incident for about 3 years now, so I'd be surprised if that was the problem, but I am definitely willing to test all the options!
isabel_heggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 02:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

He could be struggling a lot now because he's older, always worth a try to see if it helps.

Other than this has anything food wise changed ??
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 12:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

My question would be is the food the same as in from the same bag? Maybe salty food? Has the temp changed , or the humidity ?
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in