Hedgie fell but appears fine, where do I go from here? - Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2019, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Hedgie fell but appears fine, where do I go from here?

Hi guys, Iím sorry if this is the wrong area to post this in. I assumed this would be a good start though, because of potential health concerns.

I recently adopted a little Hedgie who is approximately 2 months old. I named her Mabel! The first night we got her she was great, allowed my sister and I to handle her for a few minutes before we put her into her set-up to get adjusted.

This morning she fell about 2í onto carpet. I immediately rushed to her and she was already curled up. I sat down next to her and comforted her for about 15 minutes. After being understandably upset for a little while, she uncurled and began to explore.

She walked around just fine and I got a glimpse of her tummy and legs, and saw no bruising or swelling. She started to anoint as well, and I shortly put her back into her enclosure. Since then (it has been a few hours), she has ate her food, drank water, and went potty. Iíve seen no blood in her stool or anything like that, and she seems to be going about the same rate as last night.

I would assume that if she had sprain, broken or anything, she wouldnít be able to walk around, go potty as much as she had, or kept her food down. Iím no expert though, so I decided I should at least post my experience here and see if you guys have any tips or notes that I may not have realized.

Iíve petted her a little bit but ultimately I havenít picked her up because she starts to huff and puff. I assume itís partially from still being shook up by the fall, and partially because sheís still in a new environment and getting used to the place.

I have a vet (recommended by the person I adopted her from) already on call if needed, but everything appears okay so far. My question is where should I go from here? Iíve been super anxious about it. I honestly felt horrible and started to cry when I realized that she had potentially got hurt. I read in some other threads that this sort of stuff is bound to happen at least once and it just serves as a reminder to be extra careful.

I work from home so Iím able to be near her 24/7. Iím going to keep a watchful eye. Is there any more I could do to make sure she is okay? Are there any signs I should look out for apart from what I already talked about? Any ways to comfort her without being too overbearing? I gave her a piece of Cantaloupe as a treat (which she appears to have munched up already) because I feel so guilty. Should I just completely back off while she adjusts to her new home and completely calms down?
Melaniee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in