Not running, barely drinking and eating? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ria

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Not running, barely drinking and eating?

Hi all, sorry to post here.
My hedgie Jojo is about 1.5 years old and he's an APH. He's got a great appetite, drinks most of his water every night and always likes a good run in the evening! Over the last 2 days my partner and I have noticed that he hasn't been running (we haven't heard him at all and generally he starts about 9PM) and has barely touched his cat biscuits or water. I've managed to entice him with a couple of Dreamies cat treats and he seems to be eating those okay when I put them in my hands - his teeth appear fine. I got him out of his viv tonight and he normally runs all over me, licks my face and annoits etc - he's really active generally and can be quite grumpy with touching.

Tonight hes been out for two hours and has barely moved. I've been stroking his face and tummy and he doesn't seem to mind which is odd for him unless he's really happy, but his spikes are sticking up. He's making little sniffly noises intermittently and I'm concerned about the way he appears to be breathing- he will breathe quite quickly (assuming that the rising and falling of his spines is accurate for heart rate?) but then will slow right down so there's a second or two between breaths.

Obviously he's accepted the treats off me but I'm really concerned because this is so unlike him. He's just been sat on my shoulder with his head buried in my shirt and I'm getting concerned.
JojoPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Its hard for anyone on here to help, as we cant really examine him, Personally I'm not to sure and other people may be able to give ideas, but honestly you'll be better going to see a vet asap, and perhaps syringe feeding him to get a bit more food and water in him. Medical advice is very hard to give over the internet.
nikki and belties like this.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

why my hedgehog do wont to eat, play and drink . I do not know why, maybe because that one time i want to go home and i bring my hedgehog with me on the train. The first day he eating just normal. second day he started not playing drinking and eating. My second trip on train i bring my hedgehog with me, when at my house i put in his cage and he sleep in 1 day without eating and drinking and today he not eating unless i fed his treats. I dont know why 😞
Hanani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default :(

My hog too has not been eating or drinking for the past couple days. all she wants to do is lay there and she is also not bothered by me stroking her (which isn't like her at all!). After my very expensive trip to the vet, i was told that if she didn't get better soon she would have to be put to sleep Did your APH get better JojoPickle?
hllylwrnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in