Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tumor or Abscess? (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191032)

hannahgibson 03-24-2019 12:48 PM

Tumor or Abscess?

2 Attachment(s)
My hedgehog Jasper has a lump on his lower jaw and we’ve been to the vet and they said it’s most likely cancer but could be an abscess. He is on pain medication and special food that is softer so he’s not in any pain. I was wondering if anyone has experience with cancer or abscesses so I could compare. Thank you!

belties 03-24-2019 01:42 PM

Is his upper jaw/lips swollen also are is that normal for him. From the pics it looks swollen up to. With out doing any testing it is hard to say which it could be. If his upper jaw is swollen to it is not likely an abscess on the lower jaw. Abscesses are normally more localized.

Kalandra 03-24-2019 05:23 PM

Did your vet put him on an antibiotic? If its an infection/abscess it will need an antibiotic to cure it.

Over the years I've run into lots of mouth cancer, benign tumors and infections. We had one about a month ago quit eating, became lethargic and her lower right side of her jaw/mouth swelled greatly. Took a fine needle aspirate of the swelling and discovered no abnormal cells but did find some signs of infection. A round an antibiotics & pain medication was prescribed and so far it appears to have cured her.

hannahgibson 03-24-2019 06:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by belties (Post 1070766)
Is his upper jaw/lips swollen also are is that normal for him. From the pics it looks swollen up to. With out doing any testing it is hard to say which it could be. If his upper jaw is swollen to it is not likely an abscess on the lower jaw. Abscesses are normally more localized.

Only his bottom jaw is swollen. I think the angle of the picture makes his upper jaw look bigger.

hannahgibson 03-24-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalandra (Post 1070790)
Did your vet put him on an antibiotic? If its an infection/abscess it will need an antibiotic to cure it.

Over the years I've run into lots of mouth cancer, benign tumors and infections. We had one about a month ago quit eating, became lethargic and her lower right side of her jaw/mouth swelled greatly. Took a fine needle aspirate of the swelling and discovered no abnormal cells but did find some signs of infection. A round an antibiotics & pain medication was prescribed and so far it appears to have cured her.

The vet didn’t give him antibiotics but I’m going to call tomorrow and ask for some. I’ll keep everyone posted on if it gets better. I hope it’s just an abscess!