Depressed little guy - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Depressed little guy

Hi guys, I'm not very sure if i can get a response here, but it's really worth a try.

So awhile ago, i got this pair of hedgehogs from a friend of a friend and the hedgehogs bred. Fast forward, I was left with two babies after giving the parents and the other siblings away. So these two boys (9 weeks old then) were living together. A week later (2 days ago, on saturday, today is monday), I gave the other sibling away (cause 2 boys shouldn't be together from what I've read). After i gave that last sibling away, I've also changed the two week old bedding with a lot of poop in it. I've also added a wheel for him.

But ever since then, my little guy has been hiding in a corner, sleeping more than usual. He has also became less friendly. Usually he never hisses when either my mom or I touch its sides. He would also run around the living room unafraid when I take him out of his cage. Now, he starts hissing at us when we touch him and shivers (out of fear i think) a lot. Even when i carry him out of his cage, he doesn't explore as much as he did and stays at a spot not, only moving occasionally. He also looks really frightened.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with separating him from his sibling? Is my little guy feeling sad and lonely or even depressed? I really need help on this 😞
Littlefathedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there! It could have been a hard change for him for sure. With that being said, he’s very young and could very well be starting to quill. Quilling is an extremely uncomfortable process that will turn many friendly hedgies into secluded, “mean” seeming hedgehogs. Give it some time, try more of a hands off bonding approach for a while like just letting him sleep in your lap or next to you on the couch. Let him work himself out.
Hope this helps!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in