Leg Troubles - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By belties

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Leg Troubles

Hey everyone, my poor little Boogie seems like he may be having some trouble with one of his legs. He is my very first hedgehog, and is a little over 2 years old. About two days ago I noticed that he was starting to lean to one side a lot. If I would pick him up he'd immediately slump to one side. He's been eating less, and hasn't ran on his wheel in a while. He spends all of his time sleeping. This began to make me concerned because he used to be an avid runner at night, and quite the muncher. But now he's barely touching his food. He's still eating, but not as much. I took him out the other night to see if I could make him get some exercise, and placed him on my bed. He wasn't interested in exploring. He would just huddle close to my legs, and slump to one side again. I wasn't sure if he was struggling to walk or not. I thought maybe it was just because of the soft surface of the bed maybe. Given my hedgehog is pretty skittish, so I attributed him staying close to my legs was his way of trying to find somewhere to hide from me. I placed him back in his cage. He seemed like once he was on a solid surface had no difficulties walking. I tried to place him on his wheel to encourage him, but he slumped over on his side as soon as I set him down. I let him scurry under his back and left him alone for the night not wanting to stress him out any further. This morning I placed him in his ball and on the floor to once again try to make him get some exercise. As he adjusted to suddenly being woken up I gave him a while to calm down. When he finally stood it looked like he was having issues balancing. He proceeded to spin around in circles. All the while it looked like he was favoring one side more than the other. And that one of his back legs might have been giving him trouble. He started to walk around a bit but kept stumbling and falling on his face. Boogie used to race around the room in his ball. He was a quick little runner and this didn't seem to be normal behavior for him in his ball. I took him out of his ball and held him so I could try to look at his legs. They looked fine. No hairs were wrapped around his feet or anything. And he didn't mind me holding his legs either. I placed him back in his cage and this time it looked like he slumped again. And walked about favoring one side as he hide in his bag once more. I'm not sure what may be wrong. Its hard to tell if he really has hurt his leg or not. Sometimes he looks normal walking other times he doesn't. All I know is he sleeps all day and all night, isn't eating as much as he used to and won't run on his wheel anymore. If anyone has any idea what may be wrong please help me. I'm not sure if I should get him to the vet or not.
Boogie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2019, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

A vet visit is definatly needed. There could be several things that could be causing this. An xray could be taken to check for leg or hip injury. It may be ear infection which can cause them to walk leaning sideways. Or worst case WHS, we all hope not.
nikki likes this.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in