Hedgehog Won't Use the Bathroom - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog Won't Use the Bathroom

I'm a new hedgehog owner (i got my hedgehog on February 16th), & Sunday I gave her her first bath. Ever since then, she's constantly sleeping, she hasn't gotten on her wheel & she hasn't used the bathroom. I don't know what's wrong & I'm so scared. Please help!
fairlylocalemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there! Is she eating? If she’s eating and not pooping, obviously there’s intestinal complications, but if she’s not eating either, this could turn bad quick. How is she drinking? Monitor these, but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have your local small mammal/exotic vet give her a look. Hydration is key though, so make sure she’s drinking!
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

She's eating a little bit. Last night was the first time I saw her actually eat since I gave her a bath. I haven't seen her drink yet. I did give her a little banana before all of this started & I'm not sure if that's what's caused it.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

What was she like before the bath ?? What did you use in the bath ?? Is there anyway she could have drank soe of the water and got soap in her system ?? I dont think it would be the banana that caused it more likely ingesting soapy bath water. Its the only thing I can think of if she was fine before the bath and its only after the bath

Take her to a vet, an exotic one is best but any small mamel vet that doesnt mind seeing a hedgehog will be okay. They will be able to do tests and then prescribe any needed medication which no one on here can do. You'll need to go asap if shes eating very little and you dont think shes drinking.

If theres no signs of drinking then syringe some water into her mouth to try keep her hydrated, if shes eating too little may be worth syringe feeding her too.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would say keep a close eye on her tonight, and assess more tomorrow. Track exactly how much she’s eating, make sure you can tell how much she’s drinking, and see if she pees or poops. If nothing seems to improve, she should see a vet. I’m not a professional, but speaking from experience, she could have either gotten a bit stressed from the bath, she might be too cold, or something internal is going on. I highly doubt the banana had anything to do with it honestly.
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

You could weight out her food tonight and then weigh it to find out how much she ate over night tomorrow. If she tips any food out guess how much roughly it would have been when workig out how much she ate.
To be honest thats the easier way of seeing how much they eat, I weighed the bowl empty so I dont have to weigh it out to another place after just take the bowl weight from what you have, then take what you have away from what she was given and then thats how much she ate. (Some people count the biusicut)

Water is fairly easy, not much does get lost to evaporation so its a easy gage.

I do agree its very unlikely to be the banana.
Possiblily of drinking the water
Being cold from not being totally dry (although most times that causes hibernation)
Stress is possible, although it would have to have been a huge anount of stress to get this reaction
Could even just be a coicednece that it happened after you bathed her.

I'd say its very likely an internal thing, that only a vet will be able to know and find out.

Do as Aj.t suggests, watch her close tonight, and then re asses tomorrow morning. Please dont leave it too long though before seeing a vet, they go down hill very quickly.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Update: When I took her out to play today she started getting back to herself (she drank, ate, went to the bathroom & even pushed her toy around in her play-pen! I'm still not sure why she acted like that, but I'm just glad she's back to normal 🙂 Thank you all!
Old 03-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ria

Could have been a stress thing from the bath, I'm glad shes back to normal though. Keep an eye on her for a while though yea.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

What's the temperature in her cage? not the room but the cage itself. Do you have a heat set up for the cage?

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in