Invermectin injection at last vet visit - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2019, 03:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Invermectin injection at last vet visit

I took my hedgie to the vet for scratching constantly (this is probably my third post on this) and tonight I saw a lot of posts about hedgehogs dying from invermectin injections. The vet gave my hedgehog an injection to treat any possible parasites and I think it was invermectin. This was Friday morning (nearly 4 days ago) and I haven't noticed any unusual behavior in my one and a half year old hedgehog. It was only one shot and no further treatment. Should I still be worried? Or am I in the clear?
HaineTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 03:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there! From my understanding, Ivermectin itself is safe for hedgehogs. The problem, however, is that the dosage and dilution is very risky with such small mammals. Ivermectin was ultimately first designed for cattle/pigs/sheep, so when administering this to a small mammal, you have to be extremely careful with how much you’re giving them as well as what the dilution is. If he’s doing well, eating and pooping, and still active, I personally wouldn’t worry about it. I would recommend using Revolution in the future, as it has the same outcome but it’s topical. A few stories I’ve read have mentioned the injection of ivermectin, which can definitely leave a nasty sting.
With all of that being said, I’m not a medical professional and nothing should be diagnosed over the internet.
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 04:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Okay, thank you very much. Her eating and bathroom habits haven't changed at all and her overall behavior seems normal as well. I'll definitely use revolution in the future, but it sounds like she should be okay from the injection this one time. Thanks for your help!
HaineTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quite often they are fine with the first injection but any subsequent injections can often cause problems. Make sure you don't let your vet inject your hedgehog with anything without first finding out what it is and what it does.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2019, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ivermectin is a very strange drug. Injected in pigs,sheep,alpacas,or cattle no reaction but in goats they lay down and cry like they are dying. Given to most dogs fine but given to any of the collie breeds and some die from it. Definatly not worth the risk with our little hedgehogs.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in