Won't uncurl and sneezing - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Won't uncurl and sneezing

So yesterday I repainted my room so I moved my Stella out of my room where she usually is and into an extra room in our house. However, that room doesn't have a door that can close so it gets a lot colder. I had my che running non stop but the bulb isn't actually very powerful and I'm pretty sure it's dying so it didn't get that warm. When I looked at the thermometer it said about 70.5. When I took Stella out she wouldn't unball. Usually she is the nicest hedgie ever and never even puts her quills up but this time no matter what I did she would not uncurl. Her huffs also sounded like a combination of a huff and a sneeze. I was thinking uri but she doesn't have any fluid coming from her eyes or nose. I currently have her on my stomach with a blanket and a hand warmer ( with a layer of fleece of course). I'm really worried about her. I've only had her for 3 months and I really don't want anything to happen to her. She's 2 1/2. Me an my mom are currently looking for a vet but it's a Sunday so we cant get her to one until tomorrow.
Stella'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

IT sounds like she may have just gotten a little to cold. Try to warm her up slowly with your body heat. You will need to keep her a little warmer than normal for a while so she doesn't try to go into hibernation. A vet vist would be a good thing to rule out the uri but the sounds may be from her being cold and trying to huff. We try to keep an extra heat setup on hand so if it goes out on the weekend we can just fix and not worry about stores being open. This stuff always goes out at the wrong times.

Last edited by belties; 03-03-2019 at 04:56 PM.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'll try putting a blanket on her cage and see if that helps. She was sleeping in her igloo earlier which is warmer because it keeps heat in and also has fleece strips in it so that's good. She's uncurled and her stomach is feeling a little warmer but we'll see what happens as the night progresses.
Stella'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

Sounds more like a hibernation attemept to be honest.
Keep her warm try turning the thermostate up a bit to make it warmer, and defiantly try the blanket on top of tin foil (depending on the cage and where you che is) tin foil would be less of a fire hazard.

I always keep a spare bulb so that if it stops when I can get another one then I dont have to worry about it getting to cold.

I'd see how she is over night/ tomorrow morning, may be worth just going to a vet to chack for any illness just in case there is something.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in