Tumors - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By belties
  • 1 Post By moustachemoose

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2019, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tumors

Hi everyone. Cecil nearly stopped eating on Saturday, and we took him into the vet today to learn that he has an abdominal tumor bigger than a grape. He is two years and five months old.

My doctor said she has to do surgery to find out if it’s malignant and if so if it spread, because she found a heart murmur too indicating he may either be anemic from not eating or that the tumor has spread to his heart if it’s malignant. She said he’s already at risk with surgery because he’s overweight and down on nutrition, but didn’t recommend one way or the other.

I feel terrible to not have surgery if it were to be benign and fixable, but surgery has got to be so hard and miserable on these babies, especially if it’s in his abdomen. Its either surgery or to consider when is best to let him go so he doesn’t suffer. I know these cases are very subjective, but does anyone have any input on what to do?

Thanks guys <3

moustachemoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Did they do a sonagram to determine the tumor and its location? At 2.5 he is middle aged and could have several good years if the tumor is removed , but if it is causing him to stop eating he will not have long if it is not removed. These are always hard things to decide what is best for our little guys. Has your vet done this operation before and has hedgehog experiance? I find it strange that the vet did not give you their opinoin on what they recomend.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

No they didn’t do a sonogram today, just an X-ray. She said the only way she would know the extent of it completely is by surgery. I wasn’t able to be at the appointment myself so I didn’t get to talk to her first hand, but she does want to talk to me on the phone ASAP.

She does have experience with hedgies and she is the best one I’ve found in my city. I thought it was strange though too that she didn’t give her recommendation to my family member that took him in, unless she just wanted to wait and discuss it with me. Surely she has an opinion!!

As of now, Cecil is still acting normal and active, and he will gobble up some mealworms, scrambled eggs, and wet cat food, just not his kibbles.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thats good to hear that hes eating again. If you can keep him eating he can build up his strength and will do better with surgury. best wishes to him.
moustachemoose likes this.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for the reply and good wishes, I really appreciate it. He’s scheduled for an exploratory surgery on Monday in which she will see if she can remove the tumor or if it’s metastasized, in which case she will go ahead and let him go. Hoping for the best &#x1f61e;
belties likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in