Blood in pee/brown pee, medication not working? Please help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brooke Lancelot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2019, 02:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Blood in pee/brown pee, medication not working? Please help!

Right, right, so, it's been a while. I'll make the explanation short so I can get to the important stuff. Shortly after Peppers death mom wanted to get another hedgehog; I was slightly opposed to this, especially because of the expenses and if we could give the new hedgehog proper vet care. (I wanted a hamster, much cheaper.) Mom got a new, 2 month old hedgehog from a breeder anyway. It really helped me cope with the loss of Pepper. I fell in love with her despite my initial opposition, of course, and named her Blackberry. She's been going good for about 2 years. In that time we followed the instructions the breeder gave us, she has been getting vet check ups at least twice a year. Until now she has been very healthy. (There was sneezing early on, but we got medication and the sneezing continued without any signs of sickness. I just have a dusty room.)

We got a vet check sometime in December; I had been worried about itching I heard at night, as well as a big lump. The vet said not to be concerned about the lump, it just looked like it was filled with pus or something. She gave us treatment for mites which we applied (the itching ceased shortly afterward.) The vet said Blackberry was a very healthy and friendly hedgie. (And the lump, eventually, went away, but not before...)
A few days after that, I was giving Blackberry a bath. She hates baths; and water in general, so she started peeing in the bath. I noticed it was darker than usual. I told mom about it, we checked again, and it was DIFFIDENTLY darker than her pee should be. Mom and I both got very worried, mom took her to the vet that night and got UTI medication. I gave her it every 12 hours for 12 days (and more). But the medication didn't seem to help at all. She still seems to be peeing blood, when I can get her to pee. She won't even pee in the bath, and I got so worried I let her pee in my bed. It was STILL dark.
I have given up on the medication. But now we've noticed other things. I'll make it quick: She seems to be eating and drinking less, she no longer uses her hedgehog wheel, she poops extremely small poops, I can't even tell how much she pees anymore, we got a scale a few months ago and she's losing weight, and she has started biting a bit (Not tasting). The last and most recent thing; Weird sneezing. She already sneezed every once a while (twice a day) but now it's more often and sometimes it sounds really weird. I'd describe it as "if hedgehogs had whooping cough, only it was whooping sneeze."

The eating less, losing weight, and weird pooping is making me think... cancer... we owned a cat who had intestinal cancer with similar symptoms (aside from vomiting; thank goodness Blackberry isn't vomiting.)

Last edited by ColoredHedgie21; 02-15-2019 at 02:43 AM.
ColoredHedgie21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Have you called your vet and updated him with the new symptoms? The bleeding may not be a UTI but may be uterine. If it is uterine, she will need to be spayed. If she has a uterine issue it could be getting worse and making her finally show how sick she is feeling. The sneezing i cannot comment on, but the eating less will cause the smaller poops and her to be losing weight. Her reduced activity levels is a sign she's feeling really sick, which is leading up to the not eating as well.

I'd talk to your veterinarian, he may recommend a spay, I'd ask about it. I'd also start offering her canned cat food. Weigh her daily to monitor her weight and syringe feed her if she is dropping weight. She needs calories to fight whatever is going on.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

And if he doesnt recommend anything, try a new vet. I've heard that sometimes some vets don't know a solution to an issue and other will know a solution. So just to be safe, go to another vet after the checkup for the uterus. (If he does spay her and everything turns out fine, then no need for another vet, its just a precaution)
belties likes this.
Brooke Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

We had a vet visit last week because I thought my little guy had kidney issues or UTI following a hibernation attempt. Turns out it's congestive heart disease. His urine was dark. The vet said it's not blood, but pigment from the blood that the kidney's aren't filtering out. We have just started a heart medicine and a diuretic. The vet gave Chowder a dose of the diuretic at the visit, and the dark urine cleared up the next day.

Not saying it's heart disease, but sometimes dark urine is an indicator of something else. Good luck.
Chowder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2019, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ah! Thank you for the replies! I read all of this and asked my mom if we could just call the vet and ask questions since that's free; we did, and we ended up with more medication. Even if it doesn't help fix the problem it should ease any pain. I don't know what we'll be able to do if she needs surgery or something...
...We have also started to (semi) force feed her. I feed her as many live meal worms as I can get her to eat (since she takes those the easiest) and giver her water at least 3 times a day. We also mixed in special emergency nutrition powder we received from the breeder so even if she doesn't eat much she's getting what she needs.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

...Whoops it looks like the reply got posted twice for some reason. Anyway thanks for all this; We'll see what the medication she's currently on does... I'll see what else I can do for her.

Last edited by ColoredHedgie21; 02-18-2019 at 10:14 PM. Reason: The same reply was posted twice? Oops...?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

What new medication did they give her?

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2019, 12:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Your girls symptoms sound just like my Sandwich's, she ended up having an ultrasound and had uterine masses and ovary cysts. She had to have an emergency spay to save her life. I would see if you maybe have another vet near by who specializes in exotics, especially hedgehogs. It just seems suspect that they would prescribe over the phone without even asking to test the urine.
Sandwich's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 01:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Okay it's been a bit, sorry. We got more medication (for inflammation and pain relief); I used up all of it sometime last month, with very little improvement to her urine. Her poop went back to normal from what I can tell, and she's eating a bit more. The sneezing also decreased. And then yesterday, it seemed she was peeing normally again. I can't tell how long it's been normal; she's very well behaved and doesn't pee everywhere for the most part (except in my bed?!?) so for all I know she could have started peeing normally a few days after the medication ran out. I will ask my mom if we could see the vet again, but I really don't know about getting ultrasounds and etc...
Whatever the case, I'm extremely grateful she seems to be normal again, but still worried in case she hasn't actually recovered...

Tags
blood in urine, eating less, health concern, sneezing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in