Ear Mites? Scratching? Normal? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2019, 03:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ear Mites? Scratching? Normal?

I’ve had my hedgehog Nico for only about a month now. I’ve formed a strong bond with him and have been constantly filled with paranoia. The first two weeks I would not sleep due to me worrying about Nicos constant scratching. Now you may see where this is going, but it’s not what you probably think. Every so often I’d look over into his home and see him using his hind leg to scratch the back of his ears. I paid no attention to it, but it seemed to become a nightly habit.

It came to the point I started searching the internet looking to see if his actions were normal. I knew about mites but I’ll explain why I don’t believe Nico has them in a moment. I’ve given him one oatmeal bath after noticing his white dried skin below his quills. The scratching seemed to stop for a few days (behind his ears) and everything seemed fine. But today I was holding Nico in my hands playing around with him. With one turn of his head I saw something strange.

-The side/ below his ear seemed to be missing some fur and I noticed red/pink coloring as if he was irritated there. I checked the other ear and it was the same thing. There is still some fur making it hard to notice, but with the right movement of his head or moving the remaining fur out of the way it’s noticable.

His nails are long and knowing his 2 week history of scratching frequently behind his ears, I wondered if it was normal/ just from his sharp nails or if nico may actually have ear mites or something else.

The only reason I didn’t believe it was mites before was because he hasn’t lost any quills. I’ve also done the black paper test. I’ve also changed all of bedding twice and clean his home every night (the droppings and dampness). The bedding I used was frozen in the freezer before hand and is the carefresh brand. I’ve also never seen Nico scratch anywhere else besides his ears (which isn’t all the time but frequently).

So I was just wondering if anyone knows what this may mean? If Nico has something and if I should take him to the vet. I just want to make sure before going to spend a lot of money for a vet. Thank you!
NicoandBelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would take him to the vet. I’ve no idea what he could have, but it would be safe to take him to the vet just in case.
Shaymin_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

It could be ear mites or it could be an ear infection. The only way to know for sure is to take him to the vet.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in