Sores, itching, bleeding, possible mites? Help! - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2019, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sores, itching, bleeding, possible mites? Help!

Earlier this year I took Walnut to the vet because he had mites. I had never taken him to this clinic before and the vet (who was filling in apparently) didnt have much experience or knowledge with hedgehogs it seemed. Walnut was given one side of revolution, but we weren't told that he might need more after a few weeks, but the mites seemed to clear up and he seemed healthy.

Recently I started noticing that Walnut was scratching again and started to lose a few quills here and there, it seemed like mites again. I also noticed that he started to get a couple of sores (raised, red, but not open wounds) on his legs. I took him to the vet different dr, but still didn't really seem to know what he was doing), and he was given a dose of Revolution as well as prednisone (steroid) because it was supposed to help with the itching I guess. The vet scared Walnut trying to do a scotch test so he wouldn't unroll, so the vet didn't do anything about the sores on his legs. He also said that the skin on his back looked a bit red and inflamed, but I hadn't noticed that. I didn't feel confident in this vet, and am still unsure if Walnut needs to receive another dose of Revolution after a few weeks???

Then today, I picked up Walnut to give him his steroid again, he was covered in urine and also has a red irritated and bleeding patch of skin by his anus (between penis and anus/ tail). It wasn't bleeding much but is obviously irritated enough to have started bleeding a bit. He still also has sores on his legs. What could this be??? What should I do to help him?? would polysporin on his wounds help?? I'm struggling to find a decent vet for him still - just trying to have an idea of what could be causing all of this!!
Walnutito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2019, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Figured I should attach some pics of his sores. The ones on his front paws are hard to see, but those are the ones that are raised. The ones on his back feet are red. And then there's the one on his belly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190113_204230_1547438012497.jpg (79.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20190113_204251_1547438044806.jpg (71.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20190113_204311_1547438059591.jpg (78.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Finding a good exotic vet can be hard but you really need to. It may be mites but also may be bacterial or fungal skin infection. They can do skin tests to find out. You will just have to keep locking for a better small animal vet with hedgie experiance. There is a listing I think on here or try the hedgehog welfare society site.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have been working to find a good vet, my options are limited where I am, but it is my intention to get a good one asap.

I'm really wondering about how to help Walnut in the meantime, as well as having a better understanding of what is happening, what the issue would be, and how to help him get treated! Does anyone have any ideas of what he's experiencing?
Old 01-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

It could be anything from an allergic reaction, to a skin infection to something totally different. There really isn't anything we can do to help when we don't know what the problem is.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wipe the wounds clean and then I would apply a saline solution. We use MicrosynAH Animal Health wound and skin care. After you let that dry for a bit we use a lanolin cream called Bag Balm to seal off the wound and moisturize the skin. All of these are animal safe.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in