Hedgehog acting dehydrated - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2019, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog acting dehydrated

My hedgehog is 6 months old and started acting odd this past Thursday night. She was acting as though she couldn't walk and didn't have any strength. I immediately started her on an electrolyte water mix to see if she needed rehydrated. She drank it right up and has continued to drink it out of a syringe every few hours over the last 48 hours. She has definitely shown some improvement from the first night but is still struggling with walking. Any ideas on if she is still just weak from being dehydrated or if something else could be wrong?
Chlojo4588 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

My boy was very wobbly and had little strength during a hibernation attempt but it usually only lasts a few hours

Did she have water available before and was just not drinking it?
EvaWalsh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2019, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

This is something that requires a vet visit. There is no way for us to know why she's still like that or why she was dehydrated. She could have a medical issue going on.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

She had access to water but may not have been able to get any out of the bottle. I don't think it's hibernation because she has a heat lamp and is always kept above 70 degrees.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

My question would be why would she be dehydrated to the point of weakness in the first place. Dehydration is a symptom of a larger problem.

If she is on a bottle, then I'd suggest using a water bowl with her. Water bottles are not a great choice in my opinion. Too many things can and do go wrong with them.

Above 70 may not be high enough, are you keeping her temperature closer to 75? Do you have a thermometer in her cage to ensure that it isn't dropping too low at times or isn't getting too hot at times. Temperature fluctuations, including those where it gets too hot and comes back down to normal can trigger hibernation attempts.

No matter what, she should see a veterinarian if she is dehydrated to the point of weakness. This is something that needs to be fixed fast and the fastest way to do that is to take her to a vet. A vet will most likely give her a sub-q and may recommend a followup sub-q of fluids to rehydrate her. He can also diagnose what is going on.
nikki and Askeptosaurus like this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have planned to switch her to a water dish once she gets back to normal. Her temperature is always around 75 degrees but the lowest it's ever been is 70 and highest is 78. I do have a thermometer in there to keep track of her temperature. I will make sure to get her to a vet first thing in the morning.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

Why wait until after shes okay to swap ?? Wouldnt it be better to just swap it now so that she can have more access to water before/after her vet visit rather than after its all sorted and shes back to normal.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

No, it wouldn't be better. She's not able to hold herself up well enough to drink out of a dish and she is being given water through a syringe which is the only way she can get it right now.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

She still needs to see a vet. If she’s not better by now her organs could be shutting down.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in