Size Difference - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sweetergrrrl
Default Size Difference

Hey, so as some of you may already know I adopted a hedgie from a teacher that had him as a class room pet. So Navi is TINY I mean about half the size of Link. Link is a big boy- and he was a gift from my boyfriend so I don't have a lot of info about Link but the bf says Link's mom was a big lady (not fat just large).

My first hedgie Brillo was between both of these sizes so I don't know if I just got lucky and have a tiny hedgie or if he needs more nutrition or something. He isn't skinny and he does run a lot so idk...

I have had him about 2 months or so, and the teacher had him about 2 months before adopting him out. But she didn't have an exact age as he was given to her. -_-; The only problem with adoptions... AND the teacher thought he was a she lol.

So any advise would be helpful.

I think it is obvious who is who lol. Link is on the Right, Navi on the Left.

sweetergrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Size Difference

The fact that there's a giant size difference between one hedgie and the next isn't necessarily a good or bad thing all on its own. I had one hedgie who weighed 680g and one who weighed 340g. Yep, 340+340=680. I know there's a thread somewhere around here where people have taken pics of their hedgies in comparison with a dollar bill and you can really get a sense of the range that way too.

What you want to look at is the individual hedgie. don't worry about him in comparison to others... Just him on his own. Take a look at him from the top down - Do his sides look sunken in? Do they bow out? Are they straight? Is he teardrop-shaped? More like a twinkie? Look at him from the side - when he walks, is he stepping on his own pudgieness? When he balls up, can he do it completely, or is he too chubby and he cannot completely close up (of course, some hedgies are just so calm that they choose not to ball up... then you're talking about WILL not rather than CANNOT... and that's different). Tell us what you see. When you put him on a scale, how many grams does he weigh? And how consistent is that weight over time?
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Navi does look small, possibly stunted, but from the one angle I have to judge by doesn't look horribly underweight or tiny. Link does have a much larger frame, but also looks a bit overweight to me, so it's hard to judge between the two. We do have a sticky in the general questions/discussion forum, with pictures of different hedgehogs next to dollar bills for size comparison, which might help you get a better perspective for their sizes.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with LG - going on just that photo and not having the actual weight or anything else to go by, Link looks overweight in addition to having a large build. Navi doesn't look skinny, but he's definitely small - so more likely either genetics or he didn't get enough nutrition to grown properly. For the size he is, he looks like he has healthy proportions, so I wouldn't worry about Navi at this point. Link could use a diet.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lol. Link is just a big boy. He doesn't have any pudge around his legs and he balls completely- to the point that I had him upside-down until his nose popped out today lol.

There is a pic from the top down. Both are slightly curled up, but it is at least a diffferent view. But Link doesn't seem over weight at all both are avid runners and have the I I body shape they are supposed to have.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

The "if they can roll into a ball they're not overweight" idea is actually completely inaccurate, I have seen several hedgehogs in person that were considerably overweight but could still ball up fully, and didn't appear too "round" from above. You really have to judge by feel. If they feel squishy, they are overweight. Link looks to have some squish on him.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

lol. I'll have to squish him later. He is mad at me because he got a bath and nail trim today. It was the first warm day in a while. He was so mad though, he even turned his nose up at a sweet potato baby food treat. lol.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

OH and if he is squishy, any recomendations on a lower fat food for him? He's on Innova low-fat and senior food now. Maybe cut out the senior....

Old 11-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Not sure how high fat the senior is, but that might help - unfortunately once they've gained the extra weight it can be hard to get it back off. Lower fat food plus just trying to get him to exercise even more (considering he runs diligently, hopefully that won't be too hard!) can help work a bit of weight off.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok. Thanks for the advise. I'll look around at work for an alternative food just in case. The senior is 12% or something like that. The low fat is at around 8%. I work at a Petco, so finding something else shouldn't be hard. I just like the Innova cuz the rep gives me coupons for $6 off each bag and I can buy the 2.2# bags so it says fresh. (yeah, yeah freezer I know..)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in